Please sign in to post.

Night Train from Munich to Florence

2 questions: I bought my select saver passes on RickSteves.com but now need 2 reservations for the overnite train from Munich to Florence. Which website or company is the best place to buy those reservations before we leave for Europe? Also, I'm having trouble reading the train schedules....does anyone know if the late train from Munich to Florence goes through Austria or Switzerland? (I'm trying to determine if a 3 country or 4 country pass is necessary)

Posted by
19052 posts

The direct night train connections go from Munich to Florence via Austria (Innsbruck and Brenner Pass). So you will need a rail pass thath includes Austria, or you will need a ticket for the part of the trip through Austria.

Best place to get reservation for any German night train is from Nachtzugreise, which is a cooperative effort of four or five night train lines run in part by German Rail. Their booking website, which can be changed to English, is at http://buchung.nachtzugreise.de.

Posted by
1568 posts
  1. There is one night train (EN) that departs Munich hbf at 21:03 and arrives Firenze Campo di Marte at 05:30 no changes - duration 8 hours 27 minutes. It travels through Austria and does not appear to go through Switzerland.

EN = EuroNight
Special offer Spar-Night, Subject to compulsory reservation, 2nd class only seated accommodation, Global price, Non-smoker train, Sleeping-car, Couchettes

1. There is also another night train (DB NachtZug (NZ)) that departs Munich hbf at 23:40 and arrives Firenze S.M.N at 09:04. It travels through Austria and does not appear to go through Switzerland.

NZ = DB Nachtzug
Special offer Spar-Night, Subject to compulsory reservation, Bicycles conveyed - subject to reservation, Number of bicycles conveyed limited, Global price, Sleeping-car, Couchettes, seated coach, snacks and beverages available from sleeping-car/couchette-car attendant.

Andreas lives in Germany and can help with resv. info and special train rates.