Please sign in to post.

Rome, Florence, Venice

Hello,

I am a current Student studying abroad in London. I am currently trying to come up with ideas for my spring break. I want to go to Italy and visit Rome, Florence, and Venice. I have 10 days to do it.

I need helpful hints from you guys regarding the CHEAPEST way to travel between these great cities? And any tips for CHEAP/QUALITY accommodation in these areas??

Thank you for your help,
Scott Salamone

Posted by
163 posts

The beehive in Rome is recommended by Rick and also gets great reviews on TripAdvisor. We're staying there in May and paying about 80E/night for a double room. They also have a dorm where you can get beds much cheaper. I've heard lots of good things about this place....but haven't been there myself (yet!).

If you're traveling alone (or with friends who don't mind hostels) I would check on Hostels.com - I'm certain you can find cheap, clean accomodations in all three of those cities - if you just spend a bit of time looking around online.

Posted by
6898 posts

You've posted the same question twice. You don't need to do that. See my response in To The Boot.

Posted by
3112 posts

Using regional trains instead of the high-speed trains is one way to reduce travel costs. They take longer and run less frequently, but are about 50% of the price of the fast trains.

Posted by
10 posts

Don't take high-speed deluxe trains; and avoid trains that are coming or going across borders - they charge more. Take local and region trains and travel 2nd class; it's comfortable, fairly clean and reasonably fast.
Don't buy train tickets on-line; avoid paying an additional service fee. Buy tix at the station - save money and aggravation. At some stations, roving attendants in green jackets are on hand to help you use the automated ticket purchase machines. And remember to stamp the ticket at the little yellow box near the platform before you board the train.

In Florence, we stayed at Casa Santo Nome di Gesu, a B&B in an active convent in Piazza di Carmine. It is a spotless, old palazzo wtih Ikea-furnished rooms and a nice garden, literally seconds from the Brancacci Chapel with its magnificent Massaccio frescoes. Very good buffet breakfast with many choices.Some people may not like is that you have to be in by 11:00 or 11:30 p.m. (I don't remember which) or you'll be locked out, There is no elevator, but the walk up and down the beautiful staircase is a treat. Otherwise, it's a superb location, excellent value and very peaceful. Only one nun spoke English when we there, but others spoke a variety of languages.

In Venice, we stayed at a budget hotel less than five minutes from the station. It's Santa Lucia down Calle de Misericordia, a narrow alley-like passage off the big pedestrian-mall street. It was quiet, clean, very friendly and about 20 or 30 Euros cheaper than any other place we considered. A bargain in Venice!

The big attraction in Venice is...Venice. Sadly, the tourist areas are jammed! And you can't eat or sit down on the street! We loved walking night and day around the city, poking into quiet little communities, sitting in a cafe and watching the people, who were all very friendly. At a couple of craft shops, we were welcomed to come in and just watch the artisans at work without any mention of buying something.
Have fun!

Posted by
881 posts

Scott, check ryanair out for great prices. They fly in/near both locations. You can also get one train ticket to cover all 3 destinations once your there. Larry is really good at that if he reads this.

Get a hold of a Let's Go book if you can for hostels, and great advice from college age writers.

Hope that helps! Chris

Posted by
32212 posts

Scott,

You might follow the same route as Rick's Venice, Florence, Rome tour (which I believe is also 10 days). Using open-jaw flights, begin in Venice, take the train to Florence, and then train to Rome. Rail travel IS the cheapest way, especially if you use second class or Regional trains (one of our rail experts would be the best one to advise on the different rail options). Keep in mind that the second class trains are slower and often involve multiple changes.

Regarding Cheap / Quality accommodations, Hostels would be best but AFAIK in both Venice and Florence the Hostels are located at some distance from the city centres. In those locations you might also consider budget Hotels, as the cost is often not that much higher that Hostels. Venice is typically a bit more expensive than the other two cities.

Some accommodations for you to have a look at:

• Venice: Albergo Doni

• Florence: Hotel Aldobrandini

• Rome: Beehive Hostel, Alessandro Palace Hostel, Fawlty Towers Hostel

Happy travels!

Posted by
15585 posts

Florence - the youth hostel is great (Archi Rosso - or similar). I stayed there in October (single woman, no spring chickie, sigh). Literally 5 minute walk from the train station, walking distance (10-30 minutes) to all the major sights. Very clean, decent breakfast (included), cheap dinners, snack food and drink (alcoholic too) at supermarket prices. The dining room was a great place to meet other travellers and get advice, or just chat (all ages). I could go on...

Oh, did I mention free internet?

Venice - I heard the monasteries were cheaper (seriously), but my trip was too last-minute and the places were booked - also I wanted a single room to myself.

Try the HostelWorld website - they have reviews.

Posted by
275 posts

The HI Youth Hostel in Venice is on the island of Giudecca. It is not central, but it is cheap and clean, and it has wonderful views of the main island. There are regular vaporetto services to the main island.