Please sign in to post.

Rail pass or point to point

My wife and I are traveling to France,Spain, and Italy this fall. Is the 3 country saver pass best or buying point to point be better? I know even with the pass we will have to make reservations. I have broken it down to 3 days by rail in France, 7 days in Spain, 3 in Italy if that helps. Thanks for any response!

Posted by
1167 posts

If you click on the "Railpasses" tab at the top of the page you will lots of information on this question.

Posted by
19238 posts

3 days by rail in France, 7 days in Spain, 3 in Italy if that helps

Doesn't help. However, if you are traveling all day for each of those days, you are going too far. If you are only traveling an hour or so, you don't need a pass.

You need to figure out from where to where on those days and find the cost of point-point fares and supplements you might still pay with a railpass.

In Italy, you can get fares from www.trenitalia.com. Florence to Rome on an Italian Eurostar would cost only €28,90 with an Amica fare. The passholder reservation fee, with a railpass, would be about half of that. Not worth using a day of a railpass.

You might find a few days of the railpass worth having, but not all ten.

Posted by
1358 posts

Do what other travelers do; add the cost your p2p tickets and compare with the cost of your rail pass. You can find p2p ticket fares on the RR webpages.

On some trips the pass is cheaper and on others it may not be. On my last few trips I made so few legs that the p2p was much cheaper for me.