Please sign in to post.

car rental in Ireland

What car company do you recommend to rent a car from while traveling in Ireland for about 18 days. We will probably get the smallest automatic available.

Posted by
9363 posts

I have usually rented from Irish Car Rentals. Every time I have been shopping, they have had the best rates, and I haven't had any trouble getting an automatic when I wanted one.

Posted by
1358 posts

Car rental rates change so often, I find it best to research all the agencies each time I need a car. The agency I used last time might not be best now.

Research as many as you can and use the one that meets your needs and is cheapest. Any one of them can give rotten service occasionally. Read the Graffiti Wall section "Driving Europe Crazy" for more comments.

Posted by
881 posts

Hi, Sara. For over 17 days, you can do a lease in Ireland, which often works out to a better deal, and is a commom practice in Europe. www.ebctravel.com is one option. We found some great deals there. Autoeurope was the next best we found. You might also have luck with Irish rental company Dan Dooley: http://www.dan-dooley.ie/. I think Rick has recommended all these companies at some point. We found the fares waaaaaay better than the big companies, or us sites. Hope that helps!

Posted by
15 posts

Thank you all for the information. I'll check it out! Sara

Posted by
7453 posts

I guess I would suggest looking at a lease option, both due to the length, but insurance would be a better deal as well. Many credit cards that include rental insurance as a benefit do not honor coverage in Ireland (Italy as well)

Posted by
15 posts

Hi,
My understanding is that you can no longer lease a car in Ireland, at least not for a 3 week trip. Sara