Please sign in to post.

Customs in Milan

We are flying from New Orleans to Newark, then Newark to Milan. Both are on Continental. What should we expect in Milan as far as going thru customs? I have read that we should complete a form 4457 Certificate of Reg. upon arriving in Milan so that jewelry, camera, watches, etc. won't be questioned as purchases when we leave Europe. Is this really necessary? Our return flight is Milan to Heathrow on British Airways, then Heathrow to New Orleans thru Houston on Continental. Will we go through customs in Milan and/or Heathrow on our return?

Posted by
5513 posts

Jennifer,
Are you taking a seriously large amount of camera equipment and jewelry, or just what a normal tourist would have?

The 4457 form is not for customs in Europe. It is to register your American goods before you leave. It would be used to prove to U.S. customs on your return that you did not buy the goods abroad. Given that electronics and jewelry are generally significantly cheaper in the U.S., I have never had U.S. customs question me about my electronics or laptop and I have carried them many times abroad. You really don't need to fill out this form unless you are carrying something exceptionally expensive or unusual. Check the U.S. customs website if you think this applies to you.

Customs in Europe is generally a non-event. Assuming you are not bringing anything unusual, you just walk through the "Nothing to declare" lane after passing through passport control and retrieving your luggage.

Posted by
43 posts

Thanks, Virginia! You've cleared up several misconceptions for me. We won't have anything unusual so "Nothing To Declare" sounds like the line we need to be in. Thanks, again.

Posted by
1358 posts

I agree with the advice Laura has given you. Forget about that form.

Inspectors usually pay no attention to cameras nowadays. They are a lot more interested in liquids.

Posted by
290 posts

Jennifer

Laura's right, customs in Europe is a non-event. The only potential hassle is coming back into the States. However, you should wear a cheap watch and leave your good jewelry at home or you are making your self a target for pickpockets and thieves.

Posted by
14977 posts

I agree with all of the above. The only caveat might be is if you have something of value made in Europe. Then, it might be difficult to prove that you bought it at home.

Also...keep the expensive jewelry, watches, etc at home.

On return, you will go through Customs in Houston. You don't go through customs leaving a country. At Heathrow, you should be able to use airside transfer without having to go through immigration or customs. (I do believe you will have to change terminals. Go to the transfer desk upon arrival and they will help you.)

Posted by
43 posts

Thanks, everyone. I think the closer May gets, the more nervous I become! Laura, sorry I got your name and state mixed up.

Posted by
43 posts

One more question...if you don't go through customs when leaving a country, will we pay duty on things bought in Europe in Houston? (If over $400?)

Posted by
14977 posts

Yes, you'll pay it in Houston.

You don't pay customs duties to the country you're leaving. They want you to spend as much money as possible.

It's the U.S. that puts limits on how much you can bring back.

Posted by
2091 posts

US Customs now allows us $800 before charging duty tax. This is $800 per person within a family.