Please sign in to post.

Best way to get from London to Paris

We fly into London and then plan to go to Paris two days later. We were wonding what the best way to get there was, flying, chunnel, etc? I read the previous postings but am still unsure since it's just a one way that we need. Any ideas?

Posted by
505 posts

If you are flying remember also that there is a strict one bag limit for carry-on from UK airport and only 20kg checked before you start having fees (and I think Easy Jet charges a set fee for every bag you check).

So make sure to do research on all the additional airline fees - train may be a bit longer, but a lot less hassle with luggage and cheaper when you calculate all the additional airline fees.

Kate

Posted by
160 posts

Back in 2003 I did the reverse via the Eurostar. It was an impulse change of itinerary due to a French rail strike (which didn't affect the Eurostar).

I had a great trip - it was cool riding something that's considered to be an engineering marvel. Plus, I had a good meal with good wine. And I met a cool couple that was heavily involved in the Euro art scene. We had great conversation, and the woman (who was English) used my guidebook train map to show me where my hotel was, and also the right station to catch the Gatwick airport express (I flew to Madrid from Gatwick a couple days later via Easyjet).

So, based on my experience, I'd recommend the Eurostar. Yeah, it may be a bit spendy. But there's much potential to make it worth it!

Posted by
4555 posts

Depends on your definition of "best." Flying is cheapest, with easyjet fares as low as $10 from Luton to CDG....add in the security fees, transport from London to Luton and from CDG to downtown Paris, and you'll probably pay about $80 in total....but you have to spend time getting out to Luton, then into Paris from CDG. Eurostar fares are about $150 (enter your departure date, then a fake return date a week later to get the lowest fares, then throw away the return portion), and it goes downtown to downtown. Overall, Eurostar is faster, and you don't have to lug your bags all over the place....but you pay for that convenience. In both cases, check the conditions on the tickets....they'll likely be non-refundable and non-changeable.

Posted by
8700 posts

While booking a return (roundtrip) ticket on the Eurostar often was cheaper than a single (one-way) ticket, that isn't necssarily true anymore. For example, I found single tickets from $94 to $177 US when I did a dummy booking. Fares vary widely depending upon day of the week, time of day, and how many discount seats have been sold. Book ASAP (up to 120 days in advance) at www.eurostar.com to get the best price.

Posted by
683 posts

We took a bus and paid about £100 for the ride to Paris from London. The bus loads onto Chunnel train and transits it in about 25 mins. Most of the journey is in UK before Chunnel and France after.
Have also used Eurostar thru Chunnel. Cost much more but is much faster
Altho we never fly unless absolutely necessary, flight time must include time to get to airport and time to get to city itself from airport. Flying is nearly always inconvenient