Please sign in to post.

Need itinerary help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi! I'm planning our first trip to Italy and am floundering!!

We have 7.5 days. We fly into Milan.

Then we want to go to Venice, then FLorence, then Siena, then Rome (to see Depeche Mode in concert!)

Questions:
We arrive in Milat at 8 a.m. after a 15 hour flight.

1. Should we see Milan then stay overnight there or see a couple sights in Milan then hop on train to Venice and spend the night. I realize we will be walking dead from the flight!

Should we spend one night or two in Venice?
Should we spend one night in Florence and one in Siena or both nights in FLorence with only a day trip to Siena?

THen on to Rome. Really need help with deciding to stay in Milan.

Note: We are not HUGE art fans, but do enjoy the museums/historic stuff quite nicely, but our main joy is seeing how people live and getting a taste of life there.
HELP!!!

Posted by
9140 posts

If it was me, I would stay over night in Milan. The city is really cool and you might like it. After a flight, just the thought of getting on a train and traveling some more makes me tired. Think about how nice it will be to drop off your bags, jump in the shower and wash the travel grime away, maybe take a little nap and then go out in the city.

I do think you have a lot planned for 7.5 days. I think I would cut back some and spend more time in Rome. It is so fabulous there. But it is your plan and if there are things you want to see in the other cities, then go for it. Personally, I would want at least 3-4 days in Rome.

Posted by
3260 posts

Here's what I'd suggest:
Since you only have 7.5 days for this itinerary I'd would not spend the first night in Milan. You can take the bus directly from Malpensa airport to the Milan Central Train station and be on your way to Venice--you could potentially be there by early afternoon--it's about a 2.5 hour train trip and you could sleep on the train.

I'd spend 2 nights in Venice. Then train to either Siena or Florence (I'd chose Siena) and spend 2 nights. You can take a bus from one destination to the other as a day trip (Florence to Siena or Siena to Florence).

I'd spend the rest of your time in Rome allowing enough time to get back to Milan for your flight assuming you're flying home from Milan rather than Rome. If so, you could spend your last night in Milan.

Posted by
591 posts

My opinion is a match with Sharon's. Your trip is too short to lose a day in Milan.

Posted by
1317 posts

That's going to be a hectic trip. Does the 7.5 day count flying in/out?

I agree that Sharon's suggestion is spot on. While the poster before her makes a valid point, you arrive in Milan early enough on a short enough trip, that you can't afford to lose any time. Do your best to sleep on the plane and avoid jetlag. I've been very fortunate to be able to pretty much hit the ground running after landing, and the train will give you a chance to sleep.

I'd also suggest stay in Siena 2 nights and daytrip out to Florence simply because it'd be cheaper lodgings.