Please sign in to post.

Public Transportation in Munich

Hi
I am planning a 2 week trip to Munich in May. We were trying to make a budget and came across the public transit site for Munich. We are extremely confused with how the tickets work and how much 2 weeks worth of tickets will cost.
Can anyone help!?

Posted by
19232 posts

Danielle,

first, you don't say how many in your party. For one person, a Tageskarte (day ticket) in your zone(s) of travel is usually no more than a round trip point-point (Einzelfahrt) ticket in that zone, so that would probably be your best bet. For two to five people, the Partner Tageskarte would definitely be the best deal.

Almost everything worth seeing in Munich is in the inner zone (Innenraum). Your hotel is probably in there too. An Innenraum Parter Tageskarte, for €9,00, would allow you unlimited travel in that zone, all day long. Dachau is outside the inner zone, but a Munich XXL (inner two zones) Partner Tageskarte (€11,80) would allow you to go there. For travel to/from the airport, you need a Gesamtnetz (all zones) Partner Tageskarte (for €18,00).

I love Munich, but I could never see spending two weeks there. If you plan on visiting places outside Munich, a Bayern-Ticket will give 2-5 of you unlimited travel in 2nd class on regional trains throughout Bavaria (and to Salzburg), all day (after 9 AM workdays), for €28.

Posted by
32310 posts

Danielle, as you'll be in the Munich area for two weeks, you'll probably want to venture out for a few day trips. There are lots of possiblities!

In addition to those suggested by the others, you could see the Castles in Fussen, tour Dachau (a bit sobering but still worthwhile to see), go to Salzburg and/or Hallstatt for a day or two or possibly make a quick trip to Rothenburg.

Check the Germany book for sightseeing in Munich. Again there are lots of choices - Marienplatz, Viktualien Market, English Garden, Deutsches Museum, walking tours, etc.

Happy travels!

Posted by
12 posts

Thanks for your relpies. There are four of us travelling. I know 2 weeks is a lot in Munich...we are visiting a friend working there.

Lee that pass that allows us travel outside of Munich sounds great! Where can I find out more info about this?

Thank you!

Posted by
135 posts

Danielle, a lot of Munich is walkable quite comfortably. Between Munich and Salzburg is the Chiemsee (Lake Chiemsee in Bavaria), easily reachable by train to Prien (Prien has a good website, with English). You can take a minitrain to lakeside, with lakeside hotels/restaurants with lakeside terrace/coffee/pastries and a lakesteamer landing, which will take you all around and to two islands in the lake with castles, convent etc. (Herrenchiemsee and Frauenchiemsee.) Also adjacent is a big indoor/outdoor pool (adventure pool). Prien will mail you a bilingual visitors guide. Have fun!

Posted by
19232 posts

Danielle,

That ticket is the Bayern-Ticket.

You can easily buy it from ticket automats in the Munich area for €28. If you buy it from a ticket counter it is €2 more. Make sure you get the "Bayern-Ticket"; the "Regio Ticket Bayern" is something else.

Posted by
12040 posts

The Metro system of Munich isn't particularly useful for tourists. Most of the sites of interest in the city lie within a relatively compact area that's only serviced by 4-5 stations. The system was designed more from the perspective of bringing communters from the outskirts into the center of town. So, you may find that once you get there, you probably won't use the metro very often (certainly, not nearly as often as London or Paris). Daytrips are a different story, and for info on that, I refer you to our forum expert in German rail, Lee.

Posted by
19232 posts

Gee. Not including time just passing through, I've spent 18 days (12 nights) in Munich, and I have always found the Metro system to be pretty useful. But, I admit, to save money I stay in a suburb and ride the S-Bahn into town, so I use the Metro.

True, most of the things in Munich worth seeing (Rathaus, Frauenkirche, Residenz, Viktualienmarkt, Deutsches Museum, Stadt Museum, Hofbräuhaus) are clustered around Marienplatz, but there are other things (Englischer Garten, Dachau, Schloss Nymphenburg) to see outside the downtown area. Although you can easily walk from the Hauptbahnhof to Marienplatz, and it can be a worthwhile walk, it is much faster with the S-Bahn.