Please sign in to post.

Norway in a Nutshell

We're debating between doing the flexible tour, Norway in a Nutshell vs. renting a car. I know car rentals are expensive in Scandanavia and am wondering if anyone has experienced first hand either the tour or the drive in this part of the world and what advice you could give. Thanks!

Posted by
5787 posts

I've done the Norway in a Nutshell by train (on my first trip to Norway) and I rented a car on my second trip.

If you are primarily travelling from Oslo to Bergen, I'd be inclined to do the Norway in a Nutshell. It is timed so that you have all the connections. There is some great scenery on the train from Myrdal down to Flam and on the bus up to Stalheim.

The car is a better choice if you want to see other places away from the train lines. One thing to keep in mind is the ferry times. When we went, we had no reservations for ferries or hotels. We sometimes had to wait for the ferry. On one occasion we were unable to get on the last ferry of the day and had to wait until the next morning so we did not see as much as we wanted to that day. Additionally, some of the roads are quite narrow with hairpin turns.

Posted by
864 posts

I'd go with Norway in a Nutshell even though I've never used it. Norway was, by far and away, the most expensive place I've ever visited (and I've traveled all over ALOT). Now, I really enjoyed driving all over Norway (rented car in Copenhagen)and had NO problems with the roads (well maintained etc.) The country is just crazy expensive if you use any luxury items, i.e. eating out (even a burger and fries), having a small beer and so forth. Plan on buying picnic everything (reasonable prices in the stores). Norway doesn't need or particulary want your tourist dollars. All that said, Norway is lovely and the people are great.

Posted by
264 posts

Interesting question. We went on the Fjords last summer using Trains and Ferries. If I had to do it again I would rent a car and just do the Fjord part of the "Norway in a Nutshell". For those not continuing on to Bergen you can catch a bus that takes about 15 minutes to get back to Flam for like about 5 USD. I just think there is a lot more flexibility to where you can get to with a car.

As a side note that probably is not the most "backdoor" philosophy. We met a couple that actually bought a new Volvo on the Sweedish border and were driving it around Norway. Evidently some companies have programs where you buy a car new, drive it for a bit and turn it back into them. They then ship it to the states for you but are taxed as a used good not a new good so there is an opportunity for discount :)

Posted by
3635 posts

We did NIN and loved it. In retrospect, however, I would do two things differently. It makes for a very long day, and I would break the trip somewhere and stay over one night. Secondly, I would bring a picnic lunch. The changeover places are small and the food choices, poor. We ran a little late at one point and didn't have any time at all to get something. We arrived in Bergen VERY hungry.

Posted by
1358 posts

I considered Nutshell, but settled on renting a car. I am glad we did because we go to see many other areas of Norway and were able to find accommodations where we want to stay outside of builtup areas.

Scandinavia is costly, but I consider it as a once in a life expense. Years later I don't remember the cost, but I do recall the adventure of the trip.

Posted by
168 posts

Hi Julia - My husband and I were in Norway in Sept. and did the Norway in a Nutshell Fjord Tour and loved it. We stayed in Bergen 2 nights and did this tour on of our days there. However I wish we would have spent at least 3 nights in Bergen to be able to see more. I would have liked to have done another fjord tour as well or to have seen some other towns close to Bergen more. I recommend the tour because it's a fun trip between the train, boat, & bus ride. Plus the train stops for you to take a picture of a beautiful waterfall for like 15min (and there's a surprise at the waterfall you won't want to miss).

If you plan on going to Oslo, you can do it in 2 nights. That's what we did and it was just enough time. Bergen is a much more beautiful place.

If you have any other questions let me know. You'll have a great time!

Posted by
7 posts

Thanks for your reply Marla. I wanted to clarify how Norway in a Nutshell works. We are flying into Bergen and according to the info on the NIN website, you can go from 1-3 days between Bergen and Olso. We had planned on staying in Bergen at least one night, but it sounds like from your email you can go back to Bergen from various stops along the way on the Nutshell tour, is that correct? I thought it was one way, either heading north or south. We have set aside about 4-5 days in Norway, and we are flexible. I was once in Bergen in the 70's and can't wait to show the town and it's surrounding beauty to my family. Let me know what you think base on what I've told you. Thanks again! Julia

Posted by
168 posts

Hi Julia,

You can do the NIN tour many ways (either traveling from Oslo or from Bergen). When we were there we did the tour just out of Bergen and it was round trip back to Bergen (you pay more from Oslo because of the long train ride). Most people just did this tour in 1 day (at least the ones we were with). The towns you stop in are small and there is not a lot to do in them. I personally think it's better staying in Bergen for a few nights and doing the NIN tour one day and then another day you can explore Bergen or go on one of the other tours (like the Sognefjord Tour). The website I used to read more about each option as: http://www.norwaynutshell.com/default.asp

When we arrived in Bergen we booked our tickets for the next day (RS has very good directions to the office to book tickets).

Then if you want you could stay in Oslo 2 nights and see the main attractions on your own. I think it's better though to spend the most time in Bergen or towns around the fjords.

Good luck with what you decide. Either what it'll be a great time!