Please sign in to post.

A day in London

We're flying into and out of Gatwick in April/May. We'll be spending most of our time in Italy. We get in on a Wednesday morning at 9. We leave the next morning for Venice. We're staying at an airport hotel. After sleeping off some jet lag, we'd like to spend the rest of the day in London. We will be spending 3 days there on our way back to the States. Suggestions, please, on best way to get to London and which station to exit from to be in a central tourist location for a one day excursion.

Thank you in advance!

Posted by
9363 posts

I can't really help you with getting you in to London, but I did want to mention that it's a big mistake to "sleep off some jet lag". The best way to adjust to the new time zone is to get outside and keep busy. Try to stay awake until as close to your normal bedtime as possible. Getting as much sunlight as possible that first day will help your body adjust to the new time zone, and you should be fine the next day.

Posted by
5508 posts

Check the Gatwick airport sites for the various train options. I usually take the Southern train to Victoria Station. Alternatively, you could take the Gatwick Express which is non-stop but takes about the same amount of time to Victoria.

When you get to Victoria, I'd suggest that you take the tube to Embankment (3 stops on the circle line). Get out at Embankment and head towards the river Thames. When you get there, you will see the London Eye ferris wheel on the other side. Cross the pedestrian bridge (Jubilee bridge)to the other side. There is nice walking path along the Thames. You will also get a great view of the Houses of Parliament.

Another suggestion would be to check the London Walks (www.walks.com) and join one of their walks that day.