Please sign in to post.

Rome to Naples

Help! I am travelling to Europe for the first time. We need to get from Rome to Naples. Is it necessary to pre book train tickets or can they be purchased at time of travelling. I would hate to get stuck. There are 3 of us & I was also wondering it if maybe there was some type of shuttle service rather than go by train. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Posted by
7209 posts

Train is very easy, and unless you're traveling during some national Italian holiday you probably won't have any problem just booking the tickets when you arrive in Italy. Purchase them as soon as you arrive...not the morning of departure.

Posted by
8700 posts

There are two or three trains/hour between Rome and Naples. Standard 2nd class fares are €36.10 for AltaVelocita trains, €27.60 for EuroStar Italia trains, €19.50 for ICPlus trains, and €10.50 for regional trains. Amica fares (20% discount) are sold for all but the regional trains. If any of the allotted number of seats are still available, you can get an Amica fare up to midnight of the day before departure.

To see the timetables and fares for yourself, go to the Trenitalia site. Enter any date within the next 60 days.

Posted by
1591 posts

Depending on when you are traveling, I would actually suggest you wait till you get to the station and then buy your tickets. Just make sure this is not around any major holiday. If so, book a day or two in advance.

Posted by
3 posts

I will take you advise and wait until we are there to book. Another thing I can cross of my list. Thankyou......