Please sign in to post.

Deutsche Bahn website

On this website, you can put in your info and pull up a train schedule. It lists the type of trains that will make the trip, for example RB,IE,RE. There is one label as AXL, does anyone knows what that means? Will the Lander ticket cover this AXL train? Thanks for your help.

Posted by
19232 posts

Not AXL, but ALX, Allgäu Express, a Swiss company operating trains in Bavaria under their privatization policy. There are other companies like this, BOB, Bayerische Oberland Bahn, being one of them. They are regional trains, and, for the most part, the Bayern-Ticket is valid. I think the exception might be within the Münchener Verkehrs- und Tarifverbund (MVV).

If you use the Bahn website and put in "local transport", the trains that come up are ones for which the Bayern-Ticket (and, on weekends, the Schönes-Wochenende-Ticket) is valid.

Posted by
45 posts

Danke Lee, I was trying to write that down from memory, almost got it right. With that train being the Allgäu Express, would a Swiss Pass cover or perhaps a discount, just curious? I will be heading back to Switzerland after a 3 days stay in Munich.

Posted by
19232 posts

First, the Allgäu is a not part of Switzerland. It is a region in Germany, the southwest corner of Bavaria (and a little of Baden-Württemburg, SE corner). Füssen is part of the Ostallgäu (East Allgaeu).

Although the Allgäu Express is operated by a Swiss company, it runs entirely in Germany and is part of German Rail. A Swiss pass would not be valid on it.

As long as you can book three days or more in advance, your best bet is probably the Europa-Spezial-Schweiz fare for Munich to Zürich, available online from DB. This fare is as low as €39 per person for the 4 hr EC (EuroCity train) from Munich to Zürich.