Please sign in to post.

train travel and luggage

We're leaning toward trying to do much of our traveling around Germany from our starting point in Frankfurt to our end point in Paris on the train and bus systems. We will have two adults and two teenagers. This may seem like a simple question to many, but what do we do with our luggage as we travel to towns where we may want to do sight-seeing but not stay for the night?

Posted by
28 posts

Many train stations have either simple lockers or more modern computerized systems for checking in luggage that I found to be very convenient, easy, and quick. They are easily located in the trains stations and the information desks can assist.

Posted by
16007 posts

As you will hear others say on this board.....pack light. Some lockers may not accommodate large suitcases.

Posted by
19232 posts

However, be aware that many small stations (ex. Bacharach and St. Goar) do NOT have lockers. The Tourist Information office in St. Goar told me in an e-mail several years ago that I could leave my luggage there. However, mind their hours; I'm not sure they are open on Sundays or Saturdays, and they close for lunch for several hours just after noon.

I have found the TI office to be usually willing to let you stash you bags while you look around.

Posted by
1358 posts

I agree that once you arrive the Tourist Information Office can be of help with ALL your questions.

Often when I can't find a storage locker or left luggage counter I go to the nearest hotel and ask the concierge if I can leave my luggage.

Many time he will permit me if I tip him.

Posted by
12313 posts

Please pack light. One carry-on each is plenty of clothing and you won't spend your time wrestling with your luggage.

Train stops in places like Bacharach are brief and they stay on schedule. If you are slow because you are trying to drag a lot of luggage down the aisle, the doors will close the doors and the train will leave.

This is true even if you are packing light. Be ready to board or detrain promptly at your stop by standing near the door. They won't wait.

Posted by
19232 posts

Brad, so true!

I always know the schedule of my train, and a minute or so before it arrives at the station, I get up, collect my things, and go to the end of the car, to the door. The people waiting on the platform will let passengers get off before getting on. After that the new passengers will be coming down the aisle looking for seats. If you wait to get up, you will be like a salmon swimming upstream.

Posted by
32310 posts

Coni Jo,

Check Rick's Guidebooks, as there's usually information there on which stations have baggage lockers, or alternatively if there are other nearby locations that will store luggage (usually for a small fee).

One other point regarding the trains - if you're the first one at the doors, don't forget to "push the button" to open the doors when the train arrives (that is if someone waiting to board doesn't activate the door release first).

Cheers!