Please sign in to post.

Car Rentals in Italy

I'm looking to rent a car in Italy (Tuscany area) from about May 25 to June 10. I'm getting quotes of about $1,200. What am I doing wrong?

www.travelingprofessor.com

Posted by
2091 posts

What site are you using, Steve? I tried autoeurope.com and came up with a range of US$634 - $1700 depending on what size car you want. I also didn't know where you wanted to pickup and drop it so I just used Siena for both and that will make a difference. I believe Rick as a few sites listed under "Favorite Links" above.

Posted by
32212 posts

Steve,

For driving in Italy, be sure to have a look at the posts here regarding "ZTL zones" and traffic tickets. Also, you'll need an International Driver's Permit for driving there, which must be used in conjunction with your normal D.L. (I believe you can be fined on the spot for not producing an IDP when requested by a peace officer).

Cheers!

Posted by
7 posts

Here is my itinerary, if it helps. I fly into Milan then train it over to Vernazza for 5 days. From there, I need to get to Campiglia Marittima where I will stay for about 2 1/2 - 3 weeks. That's where I will need a car. So, I thought I would train it from Vernazza to Pisa to pick up the car, then drop it off there when I was done with it.

I would like an auto transmission car, too.

Posted by
3313 posts

I checked Autoeurope as well, picking up and dropping off in Florence. You could get a Fiat Punto for $644. That's a reasonable deal for 16 days rental.

I would recommend watching their rates for the next month. They often offer a discount during the winter. Autoeurope also guarantees to match any better rates you find on the web.

It's also very easy to call their 800 number and talk to an agent in their office in Maine. They're very good about helping you get their best deal.

Posted by
7 posts

OK. I just did a query on AutoEurope, pick up May 25, drop off June 10. Here is the cheapest quote:

Nissan Micra with ac
Automatic
Economy (ECAR)
2 Doors, A/C Car Photo
Zoom

1,466.77 USD Inclusive
Available on request.

Posted by
3313 posts

You must be searching for an automatic only. I found much cheaper ($700 or so) deals for manuals. Automatics aren't all that common in Europe.

Can you drive a stick?

Posted by
7 posts

Yes. The cheapest automatic is $1,362. I can find a stick for about $650. I haven't driven a stick in years and I'm just a little bit concerned about all the hills in Tuscany.

Posted by
157 posts

Driving a stick is like riding a bike - you will get it after a few popped clutches and a grinding here or there. Hey, its not your transmission! The stick makes more sense - saves rental $ and usually gets better mileage too.

Posted by
6788 posts

How bady do you realy want that auto transmission? Enough to pay double for the cost of the car? Sounds to me like a good opportunuty to re-aquaint yourself with the stickshift...

Posted by
7 posts

I really don't have a problem with a stick-shift. My only issue is that I grew up on flat Long Island driving my stick and I'm a bit concerned how I'll adapt to the hills of Tuscany. LOL!

Steve
www.travelingprofessor.com

Posted by
6788 posts

It'll come back quickly. Really, a stick is better for the kinds of roads you'll encounter in Italy. Just remember to stay out of the old town centers (you don't want to go in there in a car with any kind of transmission!).

Posted by
811 posts

This reminds me of something a guy I used to work with said:

Why be gentle? It's a rental!

Posted by
12172 posts

Check out a lease from Milan through your trip. I expect you will save a lot (even with the pick up and drop off charges outside of France).

You can drive from Milan to Genoa and train into CT or risk finding parking at your CT town.

Take a GPS with you. It's a big plus in Italy.

Posted by
10344 posts

Steve: Tom-Toms are a European product and many/most/all of them come with a Europe map, but you have to go into setup (whatever it's called on your model) and select the Europe map.

Posted by
864 posts

Stick vs. Automatic. I hadn't driven a stick in 30 years and it really does come back to you like riding a bike. I did some practice driving on the flat, then found some slight hills in quiet areas, then steeper hills. Practice using the emergency brake, easing it off as you ease off the clutch going up a steep hill from a start. Check around at home to see if you can rent a stick shift and then practice in a place you are familiar with (like the parking lot). If you can get a one day rental (or beg a friend who has a stick car/truck) for just a bit of practice before you go I think you'll feel much relieved.