Please sign in to post.

Spain

Hello! Some friends and I are planning to travel to Spain in 2yrs. I am looking for information on airlines, hotels, hot spots etc. Thank You Jacque`

Posted by
576 posts

Jacqueline, the very first thing I do to start exploring future possible trips is to watch travel videos. Between Rudy Maxa and Rick Steves on PBS and Samantha Brown on The Travel Channel, plus anything else I can find (usually a lot exists at the public library), I get an idea of the areas that really interest me. As far as hotels and hot spots, things can really change in 2 long years. And with airlines, the deals change everyday. With two years to prepare, I would advise you to go to Rick's Tours on this website and check out his reading list and suggested movies. You have 2 full years to gain an in-depth appreciation and understanding of the people and history of the area. I just finished "Winter in Madrid", a fascinating story set during the Spanish Civil War. My husband and 16 yr.old daughter loved it and I want the other two members of our group to read it before our next trip to Spain. With 2 years, educate yourself fully, then worry about details maybe a year before you go.

Posted by
23547 posts

Come on, Jacqueline, a little more precision on exactly what you want to know. But first !!!! Go buy a guidebook on Spain as a starting point. And then come back and ask specific questions.

Posted by
37 posts

Hi Frank! I do plan on getting a book to read up on the places in Spain to tour. I have never been to Spain so I am soliciting information from those who have been. I want to know the best airlines to use, suggestions on hotels, apartments, what is the best time of the year to go etc.

Posted by
964 posts

Hi Jacqueline, Spain is a fairly large country and is quite diverse. So I think, as Frank has suggested, that you need to let us know which area you're attracted to, and what time of year you'll be going, and then we can help. Best wishes, Maggie.

Posted by
37 posts

Thank you all for your advise! I will get busy researching. Jacque`

Posted by
3261 posts

Hi Jacqueline, There are 2 T.V. programs on currently that are about Spain and food. One is called "Made in Spain" on PBS and the other is "Spain: On the Road Again" with the unusual combo of Mario Batali, Mark Bittman, Claudio Bassols, and Gwyneth Paltrow. Both programs visit different regions of Spain and provide a fun look at Spain's cities, markets, and food. You can check out the websites--http://www.spainontheroadagain.com/index.shtml and http://www.pbs.org/madeinspain/

Posted by
1178 posts

Jacqueline -- For a really amazing adventure in Spain, check out www.vaughantown.com -- Teach English for a week, meet and learn the citizens of Spain on an up close and real basis! Will add a real depth to your experience...

Posted by
359 posts

J:Another source similar to this website is "Trip Advisor Forums". TA Forums have individual sections for separate countries AND cities in those countries unlike this one which lumps several countries into one section. Rick S's stuff is great but so is TA.

For freebe downloadable travel guides to Spain Google "maribelsguides.com". Tends to emphasize northern Spain/Basque country but some excellent hints/links on where to look for more information on Espana.