Please sign in to post.

Best Way to Get From Italy to Switzerland

Hi everyone.. I am planning on going on a European cruise next year. At the end of the cruise, we are planning on going to Switzerland for a few days. I wanted to know which is the best way to get to Switzerland from Rome (which is where our cruise ship will leave us)?

Posted by
10 posts

Frank - you don't have to be so rude. I thought this post was better suited for the transportation board since I wasn't getting any replies from the "To the West" board. I have never been to Switzerland... and going to multiple cities in the US is very different, which is why I am on this board to begin with. If you don't have any helpful information, then don't bother posting.

Posted by
15206 posts

I wasn't being rude...you don't give a lot of info and expect us to read minds. I was filling in the others here on information you gave on the other board...how much time you have, what you want to do, etc.

And yes, trying to go from rome to "Switzerland" and see it in two days is ridiculous. Stay in Italy and save Switzerland for another day.

Just so you know...what you posted was something like this..."Hi, i'm taking a cruise that ends in San Francisco and I want to see Colorado. What's the best way."

Does that really tell us a lot?

Posted by
23330 posts

Switzerland is a little bigger than downtown Denver. You might indicate where you would like to GO in Switzerland. It might make a difference is how people respond. Last year we fly into Rome and came home from Zurich. We took the train to Zurich with change in Milan. It was a beautiful ride.

Posted by
1358 posts

The ONLY way to go is by train. You can buy a ticket at the RR station in Rome. Depends on your destination in Switzerland. Ask for a computer print showing times and train numbers, plus any changes necessary.

Having it printed makes travel much easier.

Posted by
10 posts

We would be interested in visiting Bern one day and either Zurich or Geneve one day.

Posted by
9101 posts

Assuming you want to go to the Berner Oberland region, rail would be your best option. It's an 8.5 hour journey to Interlaken with 2 or 3 changes. Here is a sample timetable: http://tinyurl.com/5gcnra Discount airline easyjet does have flights to Basel but the train journey to Interlaken is about three hours.

Posted by
9101 posts

Personally I think it's a bit "criminal" to go to Switzerland and not checkout the alps. If you really want to visit one of the cities, I would go with Luzern. But visiting Geneva, Bern, and Zurich all in the same trip is a bit redundant.

Posted by
10 posts

I have never been out of the country, so I don't really know what the best things to do are... which is why I am on this site.

Posted by
9101 posts

In that case head over to your nearest bookstore, and pickup a copy of Rick Steves Switzerland Guidebook in the travel section, it can also be ordered from this website. Rick also has his own TV series "Rick Steves Europe" which can be seen via your local PBS station or on the HDNET cable/satellite channel. You can find some mini tips on Switzerland here: http://tinyurl.com/m5fka

Posted by
15206 posts

She posted this same question under "To the West." She has 2-3 days to see Switzerland. Forget train to Switzerland. That's 10 hours. Flying is the only way. But then trying to see two cities in two days is ridiculous.

Posted by
1290 posts

Nichole- I cast my vote for the Berner Oberland. I just have not enjoyed the cities in Switzerland that much. Switzerland's charm is in its villages and Mountains. I'm not sure what time of year you are traveling, but Lauterbrunnen is so beautiful in the summer and fall. Also, most of the cruises I have been on visit major cities as their port of call. So spending a couple of days relaxing in one of the most beautiful places in the world could be a perfect way to end your trip. Also, don't get discouraged with some of the repsonses on here. Continue to post and ask questions and you will get helpful answers (as well as some of the others) At least that has been my experience. Have a great trip.