Please sign in to post.

Oyster card - London

Last time I was in London, we purchased those REALLY expensive 5 day passes (I think it was 5 days), and it was well over 60 pounds if I recall, for two.

this time I just want to purchase an oyster card and pay as I go...we will be there for another 5 time stretch, so I feel it'll be worth it...and we plan on going back again anyway...so we can use it again, and again.

So, as an American, I know I cannot register on the oyster site, but is there anyway to get cheap oyster cards?

Posted by
8700 posts

When you get to London buy your Oyster cards at any staffed Tube station.

Are you aware of the 2for1 deals connected with PAPER travelcards issued at NATIONAL RAIL stations, not Tube stations? See here. I suggest that you buy one-day travelcards for each day you plan to take advantage of any of those offers and use your Oyster cards on all other days.

Posted by
48 posts

I do not see any ticket deals, but man, those venue tickets for 2for1 look like a good deal...too bad the pound is 1USD = .5 pound.

Posted by
3580 posts

The US Dollar vs the GB Pound is now about 1.71 and changing daily. For info regarding the Oyster, go to tfl.gov.uk. I've been using the pay-as-you-go system with the Oyster. You have choices depending on your circumstances, but the Oyster can be the best way to go. I think there is a 3-day pass (paper) that may beat the Oyster. Check out the website.

Posted by
8700 posts

The price for a paper travelcard issued at a National Rail station is the same as one issued at a Tube station. Pick the number of days you wish (one, three, or seven) and the zones you want covered.

Posted by
643 posts

It's now $1.57 to the pound, not bad.

When we went to London last month, we took the Heathrow Express to Paddington. We got off the train and walked over to the service window and bought our Oyster Cards there. They have 7 Day Unlimited Oyster Cards for GPB24.20 each. A great deal and they are super easy to use.