Please sign in to post.

Compression Socks

Hello!

I have been reading some articles about Deep Vein Thrombosis and I heard that compression socks (like the brand TravelSox) can prevent this on a flight and provide more comfort and less swelling. These are $30 socks, however...

I was just curious as to if any of the travelers here on the Helpline have used these "compression socks." How effective are they? Did they really eliminate the nasty swelling one gets when one goes on long flights?

I appreciate the input!

Thank you,
Amber

Posted by
12040 posts

For air travelers without other significant risk factors for DVT (poor peripheral circulation, diabetes, previous DVT, congestive heart failure, smokers who take oral contraceptives, etc.), research from the 1990s showed that compression stockings actually slightly increased the risk. The researchers surmised these people who wore the stockings moved their legs less (due to the discomfort the stockings cause), and this probably resulted in more clots. For people who do have other risk factors, however, they showed a clear benefit in reducing the risk of a clot. The study didn't indicate anything about relative comfort or swelling (other than the swelling caused by a DVT).

Posted by
780 posts

They sell them at Walmart for less than $8 a pair.

Posted by
71 posts

Ah I see... I suppose I'll try them. Thank you for that thread. I read it and that definitely helped.

Posted by
15072 posts

One of the best ways to avoid Deep Vein Thrombosis is to actually get up and walk.

Once the carts are out of the aisle and the cabin has settled down, get up and walk for a few minutes. Don't walk forward, walk towards the back of the plane. Stand up, stretch, and if asked tell the FA's you're stretching your legs. They've seen it before.

I do this 2-3 times a trip. As long as you don't get in the FA's way, they don't care.

Posted by
10344 posts

Amber: You probably want to carefully re-read Tom's post (the 1st reply), I think he's the only one who has replied that's a doctor. And if you think you have risk factors for DVT, you probably want to get advice from your own doctor?

Posted by
71 posts

Perchance. Or just stop freaking out. ::shrugs::

Posted by
440 posts

Amber, I am an absolute advocate for compression socks - actually Dr Scholl flight (knee high) 'tights'. I practically walk from Australia to my long haul destination,(inflight, transit etc) but would be extremely uncomfortable without the stockings. They reduce ankle swelling and subsequent aches. Happy and safe travelling. Pat