Please sign in to post.

Venice to Interlaken?

Hello, I am leaving Venice on the 9th of October and trying to get to Interlaken, eventually heading to Lauterbrennen. Having trouble trying to plan our (2 people) way there.

Will i have to train to Bern first, then switch over to another train to Interlaken?
c.

Posted by
8700 posts

Your best daytime routes with the fewest changes are Venezia Santa Lucia-Milano Centrale-Spiez-Interlaken Ost or Venezia Santa Lucia-Milano Centrale-Brig-Interlaken Ost.

There is also an overnight route: Venezia Santa Lucia-Bologna Centrale-Spiez-Interlaken Ost. The Bologna Centrale-Spiez leg is a night train with sleeping accommodations.

To see the timetables go to www.bahn.de and click on the drop-down menu in the upper right-hand corner for English. After you get summary timetables for Venezia Santa Lucia-Interlaken Ost, click on "Details for all" to see the connecting points.

Posted by
11507 posts

Tim, you are the "go to" man for any transportation questions, you have great abilities deciphering those railway and bus websites..

Posted by
8700 posts

Pat, thanks for the compliment. I appreciate it.

Posted by
7209 posts

We just did this trip. Venice S. Lucia -> Milan -> Brig -> Interlaken Ost -> Lauterbrunnen. It's a long trip, but it's definitely do-able.

Posted by
4 posts

Tim. Hope you're still around after six years! I am wanting to get from Venice to Grundelwald via Interlaken. Looks like either three or four transfers just to Interlaken using your bahn link. No leg appears to be a sleeper car, or certainly not enough time to make sleeping feasible between any of the transfers.

Am I missing something? Or is this no longer an option in 2014?

Thanks!

Posted by
20085 posts

That run is gone with the wind. The replacement, Thello, runs nonstop from Milan to Dijon on the way to Paris. You're stuck with the 3-change Venice, Milan, Speiz, Interlaken route.

Posted by
4 posts

Thanks for the info, Sam. So it may be best to do it during the day. If we have to be awake the whole time anyway, may as well be able to look at the scenery. Probably cheaper to have a seat than a bunk, too.

Is that the route you would recommend?

We're trying to get from Venice to Paris. We will be in Venice on the 23rd, and have to be in Paris by the 27th. I was thinking with Switzerland right in the middle that it would be perfect to stop by for two or three days, but it's proving more difficult than expected to make it work.

Posted by
20085 posts

It's certainly doable. You could get to the BO on the afternoon of the 24th. Stay 25 & 26. You can get to Paris in 5 1/4 hours from Interlaken on the 27th.

Posted by
4 posts

Sorry to be dense, but what is "BO"?

I'd prefer to be on the train the 23rd, but that's just a detail. If the scenery is worth it I'd get a day train. Otherwise a night train is fine (saves me a hotel bill!).

Interlaken is my thought because it seems to be the gateway to some lovely alpine scenery (like Grindelwald). I really hope to experience the Alps.

Posted by
20085 posts

BO is body odor. Oh, wait a minute, I meant Berner Oberland. Sorry about the acronyms. Yes the daylight run Milan, Spiez, Interlaken is the quickest and most direct.

Posted by
4 posts

I do appreciate all the info. Five hours is kinda long, but I think I can cope with it! If we leave Venice in the morning we'll be in Interlaken before dinner. Though if we decide to continue to Grindelwald it could be a while longer. Or maybe Grindelwald is more appropriate for a day trip. Will have to figure that out.

Thank you for the help. Navigating the trains isn't as easy as I thought it would be.

Posted by
20085 posts

If you go straight to Grindelwald, it is only 41 minutes further, 7 minutes for the change at Interlaken Ost and 34 minutes ride time. Actual departure from Venice would be 8:32 am, arrival in Grindelwald at 3:09 pm.

Posted by
32746 posts

What are you agreeing with alemdaer10?