Please sign in to post.

Driving in Portugal

We are starting to plan about two weeks in Portugal. We love trains and local transport but have no problem driving when necessary or a better fit. Questions: I am now 70- Are there restrictions on age? Also, I have had no problems in Italy, France, Germany, Ireland and England, so is Portugal more difficult or are there things about driving there that would be helpful to know? Thanks everyone. George, Pittsburgh

Posted by
1358 posts

Each rental agency has its own age restrictions. I am 84 and never have a problem renting.

Posted by
10344 posts

You asked: "Is Portugal more difficult or are there things about driving there that would be helpful to know?"Many travelers do just fine driving in Portugal. The Rough Guide series points out that Portugal does have the highest accident rate in the EU. Here's what Rick says about it in his book Portugal (2005 edition): "Portugal, statistically one of Europe's most dangerous places to drive, has lots of ambulances on the road. Drive defensively. If you're involved in an accident, expect a monumental headache--you will be blamed. Expect to be stopped for a routine check by the police, be sure your car insurance form is up-to-date. Small towns come with speed traps and corruption. Tickets, especially for foreigners, are issued and paid for on the spot. Insist on a receipt so the money is less likely to end up in the cop's pocket."

Posted by
118 posts

I drove in Portugal for a couple weeks two years ago and it was almost like home.
Be sure and have a good map as some towns are a challenge finding your way in and out. Lisbon is easy without a car. The Algarve is car friendly. The only problem, if this is a problem, was driving the speed limit on the new highway system and being passed by cars going a million miles an hour. Have a great trip.

Posted by
8293 posts

The only problem we had on the highways was the many testosterone-charged young guys on their motorcycles, who seemed to be racing to their deaths.

Posted by
207 posts

Thank you all... helpful as usual... we will porobably rely on trains et al with selected days of leasing a car. george