Please sign in to post.

Italy Train - Reservations

In Italy, if I have a reservation on a particualr train (say 12:00) and miss that train, what do I do to get on the next train?

Is the prior ticket still good for the next rain, but have to get new reservation?

Thanks in advance

Posted by
532 posts

It depends on the type of train. If by "reservation" you mean seat reservation on a specific train at a given time, you can go to the Trenitalia desk and they will book another for you as long as there are seats available on the next train. Except on the most heavily-traveled routes during high season(Florence-Venice, for example), you shouldn't have any problem. I've never tried the following, but I can't imagine that you'd have any problem jumping on the next train even if it were full as long as you were prepared to stand or hang out in the dining car (if one is available). You've paid for a ticket and it's your choice, in this case, not to have a seat. Anyone else with experience here?

If you're talking about just having a ticket for a train (such as an Intercity train or Regional train) that does not have reserved seats, then the ticket is good anytime--and often there will not be a specific time on the ticket, especially on the Regional trains. Use any train.

Posted by
7209 posts

Some trains like the EuroStar have a mandatory seat reservation with the ticket. If you miss your reserved train you CANNOT just hop on the next EuroStar.

Posted by
23573 posts

AND most of the information is out of date and wrong as of 2013.