Please sign in to post.

FlyBE?

Anyone ever take this airline? How were they? How strict were they with carry-on bags?

Posted by
267 posts

For baggage allowances, check their website for limitations. Select "Baggage Enquiries" for Step 1.

Posted by
15961 posts

I know what their "published baggage restrictions" are, I'm trying to find out how strict they were with their policies.

Posted by
4555 posts

Frank...you can't go with a hard and fast answer on this. Generally speaking, European discount airlines are much stricter in terms of luggage, including carry-on, because they see it as an important issue affecting their bottom line. Someone may come on the forum and say they didn't have any problems with an overweight or oversized bag on flybe. But maybe it was a lightly-loaded flight or the check-in crew was in a particularly good mood that day. Don't depend on getting a similar break. Plan on them checking your bag to see if it's within their published limits, then you won't be disappointed.

Posted by
4555 posts

Frank...you can't go with a hard and fast answer on this. Generally speaking, European discount airlines are much stricter in terms of luggage, including carry-on, because they see it as an important issue affecting their bottom line. Someone may come on the forum and say they didn't have any problems with an overweight or oversized bag on flybe. But maybe it was a lightly-loaded flight or the check-in crew was in a particularly good mood that day. Don't depend on getting a similar break. Plan on them checking your bag to see if it's within their published limits, then you won't be disappointed.

Posted by
658 posts

Ever heard of FlyBe ?

Yes they are the old British European that rebranded about seven years ago. They were based in Jersey ( part of the British Channel Islands and a tax haven ). At the time of rebrand they were a full service airline and had probably the best business cabin of any British airline, the problem was they had a very limited choice of routes. So they switched things around and went down the low-cost route using Southampton as their hub and increasing their routes.

Southampton is a great little regional airport. I'm often surprised that you guys don't seem to know about it. About four years ago I took a Flybe flight from Southampton to Prague. It was excellent.

They are definitely worth considering. As for the bag situation, any airline that purchases aviation fuel in USD but pays it's bills in GBP is currently having a hard time as the pound slumps against the dollar. This is the situation Flybe is in, so expect them to be less than generous in baggage allowances.

Posted by
15961 posts

Thanks Al, I didn't realize they were the old BE. (Now I understand whey they call themselves FlyeBE). If I remember correctly, they flew puddle jumpers between Jersey and the South Coast of the UK.

Their carry-on restrictions are tight regarding size but okay regarding weight. Cheap flights between Cardiff, Southampton and the Continent. And fairly new aircraft.