Please sign in to post.

Renting a car in Germany

I am shopping for a car rental in Germany for 10 days. Who has the best deal for a compact, included CDW prices. Please let me know what currency you are pricing this in.
Thanks

Posted by
10344 posts

Many Helpline folks say that they have gotten the lowest prices going through Auto Europe, they're a consolidator and this is their website: Auto EuropeI have had good experience with several of the other major car rental companies, mainly Avis. Some have rented from Sixt in Germany.Others from gemut.com for car rental in Germany, their website is Gemut.It's less expensive to book a car rental in advance from the US. To keep your cost comparison apples to apples, obtain all price quotes in dollars.

Posted by
242 posts

Take a picture of all sides of your car, okay Laurie?

Just to protect yourself.

B~

Posted by
864 posts

We always just rent with Avis. I'm sure you can get a car cheaper somewhere/somehow but I like dealing with a company that my credit card (Visa) has some weight with. I've never really had a problem (well once and Visa fixed it) renting in Germany. Very efficient those Germans (and as a Swede that's a compliment). Be sure to let them know ahead of time if you are taking the car out of Germany. Some cars are "hot ticket items" for thieves in Eastern Europe. Also, unless you can drive a stick make sure you specify that. Driving in Germany is easy, efficient and fun. Happy Travels!

Posted by
12040 posts

I found that Sixt offers the best deals in Europe, but you have to ask for them in person with the agent.

Posted by
1358 posts

?Laurie:
Deals vary from day to day; so first create a list of
companies you want to research. Do that by
searching google for ‘auto rental Europe’.

You will find 50 suggestions such as autoeurope, avis, alamo,sixt, europecar, and Kemwel. I usually call a few of them to get a feel for the current rates, since they change frequently. Find the toll free phone number on each webpage.

My experience with Sixt (a German firm) was best. They permitted me to drive into E Europe at no additional cost. I also had success with Kemwel (a British firm) the year before that.

I suggest taking your car at Frankfurt, but ask to
take it at a remote location to avoid the airport fees.

Last time I hopped on a trolley and rode to an office
about 15 minutes away. Always rent from here and
never there to avoid extra fees.

Marie says she always rents from Avis, but I have
found that when I compare rates, the last company I
used is not always the lowest. Shop around.

Bill is right. I always take a picture of all 4 sides of the car when I take it and also when I return it; so far I have not had to use them.

Another consideration is asking for a diesel with
automatic shift. You may not get it, but you will
want it if it is available. Ask that they price it to you in dollars.

Posted by
3551 posts

Just back from 3 weeks with my autoeurope car rental in Germany. I rent from them every yr. this yr it was $33/day, category compact manual trans. rented in downtown Frankfurt and returned Frankfurt airport.

Posted by
4 posts

We rented our car from Avis in Germany and the rate was much better than other companies we compared them to. Also they give a Sams Club discount which really dropped the price.