Please sign in to post.

Nice to Venice

I just got my rail pass with the timetable booklet. I am traveling from Nice to Venice during my trip in september and would prefer to do a night train. The timetable booklet states that there is a night train for this route but on raileurope.com, it does not show that route. Is it more likely that raileurope.com is right or the booklet? Is there any other sites that may clear this matter up for me? Thanks for all your help!

Posted by
6898 posts

I'll defer to Tim from Minot, ND on this but I don't think that there is a night train with sleepers from Nice Ville to Venice any longer. There used to be one but it seems to have gone away. If you can route via Genoa, you can pick up night train segments from there to Venice but you change trains in the middle of the night in Bologna. Nice to Venice is not a fun night journey.

Posted by
8700 posts

Since RailEurope only lists trains for which it sells tickets, its timetables often are incomplete, particularly when a route requires several changes. However, in this case it is your timetable booklet that is out of date. The direct Nice-Venice night train was cancelled in early June--as was the direct Nice-Rome night train. You can travel overnight by train to Venice, but doing so will require several changes so you won't get much sleep.

For complete timetables, go to www.bahn.de and click on the drop-down menu in the upper right-hand corner for English. After you get summary timetables for Nice Ville-Venezia Santa Lucia, click on "Details for all" to see the connecting points.