Please sign in to post.

easyjet

Anyone with experience with this airline?

Posted by
506 posts

I fly EasyJet frequently and have no problems.

Posted by
8293 posts

I have used EasyJet 3 times with no problems.

Posted by
9363 posts

I've used EasyJet with no problems. In fact, they had the friendliest flight attendants I have encountered recently anywhere.

Posted by
2207 posts

Flown Easyjet often from Ciampino in Rome, no problems! They have one of the better "luggage" allowances of any of the discount carriers in Europe.

Posted by
25 posts

Yes, I do!! And it's not good! In July 2007 I booked a trip from Amsterdam to London Gatwick on EasyJet. I was bringing a small bag of books for a friend in Den Haag. Even though I paid an extra baggage fee to EasyJet, using their online booking, it was NOT noted on ANY of the web pages I navigated (to get to the secure payment page) that baggage is limited to weight, not just quantity. I was charged $345 for the extra bag that weighed 12 kg (26 lb)!

To add insult to injury, when I got home and called EasyJet to ask where on their website was an explanation of the bag charges, the only phone number provided was the toll laden "900" type number. There wasn't even an email address or physical address for correspondence! I finally found the explanation of charges buried in the 12 paragraph of an obscure webpage (which I saved to my hard drive, it was so incredibly buried!).

Now, before everyone starts accusing me of inaccurately describing the EasyJet website, I am talking about their web content of 2007. Since then the European Commission has felt the need to step in with regulations on disclosures on EU airline websites. It is easy to google this information. Quote: "Airlines should make all taxes, charges and 'extras' clear in their advertising." The new rules were approved by the European Parliament and EU governments, and become law after 2007.

If you view the current EasyJet website, the baggage charges are clearly explained before you get to the payment page.

And BTW, in addition to being stung on that trip with the baggage charge, the flight was 3 hours late in taking off (due to bad weather at Gatwick), and during takeoff, I thought the plane would never leave the runway, as it shifted roughly from side to side while fighting a crosswind. And they wanted me to pay 5 euros for a cup of tea!

Frankly, I would pay more airfare for safety, convenience, and honesty. Dirt cheap airfares have a cost.

Posted by
9363 posts

A flight being delayed because of weather (no matter which end of the trip the weather is on) is not the airlines' fault ever. And anyone could have told you that they charge for food and drinks on their flights. I flew with them most recently in 2007, also, and I was aware of the weight limit, so I'm not sure why you were not. In any event, since the "problem" with the website no longer exists, why bring it up now? It's not likely to be a problem for James.

Posted by
25 posts

Nancy,

Because James asked us about our experience. And they should not have taken off in that type of aircraft in such a strong crosswind.

Posted by
4555 posts

Maryann...even in 2007, the extra baggage weight charges were explained on easyjet's website, under their "terms and conditions" listing, where they had all charges that might be levied against you, and the various rules for dimensions and weights. The European Union directive was aimed more at make sure people knew about the newer fees for regular checked baggage, not overweight items. Even today, easyjet allows you 20 kg. of checked luggage....that's 44 pounds! And at $345 for excess wright, that's a whopping 20-odd kilos EXTRA weight...more than 40 pounds more....that's a lot of books! It's hardly easyjet's fault that you didn't read their regulations. And as for impugning the safety of the airline because of a weather delay and a rocky takeoff, that's simply not fair. Their pilots meet the same strict safety regulations that every other airline pilot must, and to suggest they risked your safety to take off is incorrect. You can't have flown much if you've never hard a rocky takeoff before. And as for contacting them....since 99 per cent of their passengers are Europeans, their contact phone number is European....had you dug deeper, you would have found an e-mail contact form that has ALWAYS been there. Your single experience with easyjet may have been bad, but don't transfer the blame to them for issues out of their control.

Posted by
4555 posts

Maryann....so? What's your point? Try reading farther down in the story that says "Last month, the British pilot of a Royal Brunei Airlines jet was jailed for eight months for failing a breath test at Heathrow. A week earlier, a 51-year-old Finnair pilot was given a six-month sentence after reporting for duty at Manchester after drinking six glasses of wine and a beer the previous day." Try also reading http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/07/10/national/main1786964.shtml . To suggest that easyjet allows drunk pilots to fly is not only incorrect, it's insulting to the professonals that fly for them. You might also notice that the pilot in the story you refer to didn't actually fly.

Posted by
2207 posts

I was intrigued by the discussion and searched for the "accident ratings" of Easyjet. This link shows both North American & European airlines.

Click

Easyjet has never had an accident. They are rated 23rd but that's more due to the "lower number of miles" flown as compared to international competition. I would conclude they are one of the safer airlines operating. Note that Ryanair, another low cost Euro airline, is rated #22 with no accidents.

Ciao,
Ron

Posted by
25 posts

Norm, thanks for the heads up on which airlines not to fly.

FYI, the Jan 1987 - Dec 2007 chart list Southwest Airlines with 0 fatal events. "A Southwest Airlines Boeing 737-700 skidded off the runway: Chicago Tribune, December 8, 2005. "Boy killed after plane skids off runway at Chicago's Midway."

I guess the chart just applies to passenger safety.

Posted by
14977 posts

When I was learning to fly many, many years ago, I remember something I was told on the first day:

"There are old pilots. There are bold pilots. But there is no such thing as an old, bold pilot."

Airline pilots have families just like you do and they want to go home to their families just like you do. The pilot must have felt that the crosswind wasn't strong enough to be a danger to the flight.

Remember, he, or she, knows that aircraft and its limitations. What you feel was dangerous because you felt a little shimmer may have been perfectly fine in his eyes.

The real fun part is trying to explain to passengers why the wings of a jumbo jet are going up and down during turbulence. (They actually do and they're designed that way.)

ONe other thing people should know. There is some fear that airlines are forcing their pilots to fly when it's not safe. According to law, the captain of that aircraft is solely responsible for the safety of that aircraft. If he feels it is unsafe, no one, not his airline, not the FAA, not ATC, can force him to do anything he feels isn't safe. (At least that is the law in the US.)

Posted by
20 posts

I had a pretty good experience with easyJet in 2006. It was a flight from Athens to London. Definitely no frills, but otherwise great. We knew food cost money onboard, so we brought snacks. We knew the weight allowance, but we were well under it.

The flight was delayed due to some bad weather that rolled in briefly. But otherwise, it was prompt when it left, the crew were very nice, and the view (at least our route) was great! Plus... it was really cheap!!

I'm flying with easyJet later this month again. I'm hoping for a similar experience.