Please sign in to post.

Trip to Italy

I was the high bidder for a trip to Italy - it includes hotel for 10 nights. Am I crazy to spend 3 days in Rome, 2 in Florence, 2 in Venice and 2 in Sardinia - final night back in Rome? I have been to Rome, Florence and Venice before but my husband has not. I wanted to experience something new on the trip so that is why I am including Sardinia. Any suggestions of best itinerary - we have to fly in and out of Rome.

thanks

Posted by
10344 posts

I don't know anything about Sardinia except that it's 200 miles off the Italian coast about even with Rome and I don't think you can get there, see anything, and get back to Rome in 2 days.You say you want to experience something new and have previously been only to Rome, Florence and Venice--I think we can help you think of something new that's more feasible, in the time you have, than Sardinia. How about spending those 2 nights in Tuscany hill towns or the Cinque Terre?

Posted by
12172 posts

CT would also be out of the way. I would keep it to Rome, Florence, Venice and maybe some points in between. That's more than enough to do in 10 nights.

You have to fly in and out of Rome so your choices are either go North or South and back. Since your husband hasn't been to Italy, I would choose North so he can see Florence and Venice.

I agree that getting to and back from Sardinia would take up most of the two days you would invest to get there. Take the Sardinia days and either spend more time in Rome or use if for intermediate stops along your route.

Posted by
2207 posts

Karen - Sardinia is certainly beautiful and well worth a visit but as mentioned in previous postings it can take much of your time.

If you really want to go, take a look at corsica ferries . There are about four or five ferry services from the coast of Italy to Sardinia, but these folks are probably the least expensive. The trip from Civitavecchia to Sardinia can take about 4.5 - 7 hours depending on what and when you book.

To save time, book an overnight trip FROM Civitavecchia. They usually leave at 10 PM. You can book a cabin and sleep! The ferry arrives at 7 AM and you're ready to go! On the way back, take the 8 AM ferry, arriving back in Civitavecchia at 1 PM... catch the train and you're in Rome by 3:30 PM. We've done different routes but that seemed to work best.

On the ferries you can book a cabin, a pullman seat (like a first class US domestic airline seat) or NOTHING AT ALL (seating selection). On the return trip, I would book NOTHING - save your $$$ and lay out on the deck and catch rays!

Depending on your time of year accommodations in Sardinia can be scarce, so book ahead! There are MANY places to stay. Of course, as you're using the ferry, you can take a car with you - or rent one on the island. We went by motorino which was fun zipping around the hairpin turns on an island covered in steep hills, beautiful coves, and great beaches. It can be an incredibly relaxing experience!

But again, it is a chunk of time... and if you could change it, I would do Venice-Florence-Sardinia-Rome in that order... although I'm not sure you can do that in 10 days... but that order brings you Civitavecchia heading south to Rome. Might eliminate Florence (OUCH!). Hope that helps.

Ciao,
Ron

Posted by
3250 posts

Verona could be a nice addition to your Rome, Florence, Venice plan. It's not too far away from Venice and on a direct rail route from Florence. Verona is a little smaller and quieter and a great place to stay for a couple of days. Another option would be to add the 2 days to Rome with a day trip to Orvieto. Sardinia seems far for the time that you have.

Posted by
113 posts

I agree that day trips from your major stops would be a good way to go. For example, from Rome you could visit Naples and/or Pompeii. From Florence you could visit Siena or a couple of Tuscan hill towns, which are worth seeing and would be a nice change of pace from the large cities.