Please sign in to post.

Travel from Munich to Prague by train

Hello all. I'm taking a night train from Munich to Prague on Friday. Have already reserved a couchette and was wondering if there is usually any difficulty with this type of travel (it is in a six person compartment and I am travelling alone). Is it possible to upgrade at the train station and how likely is it that a train will already be booked? Sorry for all the questions but I'm both excited and, as you can guess, a little nervous. Have not taken the train since 1997 in Europe (Poland). Best, Tony

Posted by
1568 posts

Why would you take a CNL night train from Munich to Prague?

There are 2 direct (no changes) trains that takes only 6 hours and 1 minute. One departs Munich at 06:43 and arrives Prague at 12:45. The 2nd one departs at 16:44 and arrives Prague at 22.45.

The CNL night train takes 10:34 minutes. Departs Munich at 22:07 and arrives Prague at 8:41. Sleeping in a couchette is no more comfortable than sleeping in one of the compartments.

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en.

Change the date then change the time to 06:00 and click on later several times and the times are listed. Show detail will indicate each stop.

Posted by
6 posts

Thanks for the great replies! I have the ticket already and am supposed to meet my host at the train station in Prague at 8.55 on the mornining of June 9. The reason I am taking the night train is because I will not have accomodations available on the evening of June 8 at present. I could, however, try to scramble and see if I could change the ticket or pick up another one while there. My main concern is safety. Thanks again.

Posted by
1568 posts

You have good reason to be concerned. I have a American friend that is married to a Czech. Some of the best thieves and pickpockets that prey on tourist hang at the trains stations day and nights. My advice is:

Invest in a bike chain combination lock for your luggage and chain it to your couchette. Put a travel combination lock on all openings of your luggage. Invest in a money belt and keep your money, passport, etc., in it. At the Czech border they will check your passport. You give it to them. I would advise you not giving it to them any earlier.

Good luck but stay on guard in the train and the train stations.

Posted by
6 posts

Again, great thanks to all. After further review, and seeing that my girlfriend was going to meet up with me on a later train in the month, I will invest in air tickets from Munich to Prague. This will save potential headaches (though not money). Something I should have considered sooner. Cheers to all. Tony