Please sign in to post.

Rome accomodations

Could someone recommend a good place to stay with easy access to the Vatican and public transportation at a reasonalbe price? How many nights would you have to stay in Rome to see the main sites and not be rushed?

Posted by
3252 posts

For a convenient location near the Vatican and we really liked Casa per Ferie Santa Maria alle Fornaci dei Padri Trinitari (www.trinitaridematha.it) The website is in Italian--click "Prezzi/Prenotazioni" to check cost and to make a reservation. It's basic--Rick describes it as "the most user-friendly convent-type place I found." Rome is a great city--I think that you could see the main sites in 3-5 days.

Posted by
23343 posts

The Vatican is kind of off to the side of the majority of the sites. We always stay in the Termini area for the convenience of the transportation and the price is a little better but it is a couple miles from the Vatican. I agree with 3 to 5 days. We have spent about two weeks total in Rome and still have things that we want to see on the next trip but we go kind of slow. We are always saving things for the next trip.

Posted by
430 posts

I've never stayed near the Vatican.

I'm going to agree with the other posters -- no less than 3 days -- but 5 days is a pretty big 'dose of Rome', so it will feel like time to move on.

I'm with the other poster as well -- we're at 17 days in Rome over the last 16 years (3 trips), and still have things to see...

Posted by
4555 posts

Anywhere along the Viale Giulio Cesare might be good....only a few blocks from the Vatican, but the Metro runs right underneath that street, so it's easy to access Rome on the other side of the Tiber. Nice mixed residential/shop/restaurant area. Go to maps.google.com and copy and paste in these coordinates (41.909419, 12.458151) then you can check recommended accommodations there to compare locations and distances.