Please sign in to post.

Rental Car Frankfurt

I will be arriving in Frankfurt late September for a 9 day excursion. Does anyone have recommendations for rental car companies? Ease of rental? We rented a car in Milan and drove for two weeks through Italy without any difficulty. I am hopeful that will also be possible in Germany. Thanks for the help.

Posted by
157 posts

I have used Europcar in the past as well as Hertz. I had picked up a Hertz car at the Frankfurt train station 2 years ago and the staff was very helpful

Posted by
850 posts

I have used gemut.com out of Frankfurt. Great people to do business with and also good rates.

Posted by
1358 posts

I have had success with renting from sixt.com. when flying into Frankfurt. Request a diesel with air. You cant always expect to get both, but I did.

I asked to take the car at the downtown RR station to avoid the airport fees. The RR station in on the lower level of the air terminal. Just take the train downtown and take your car. Getting out of town is fairly easy.

Posted by
430 posts

Hertz at either the airport or main train station are pretty straight-forward.

I agree with the poster who recommended requesting air conditioning and a diesel.

I've only used Hertz in Europe -- but have done so in several cities with no real headaches nor issues.

Posted by
199 posts

Mary Ellen, I would do a quick survey of lots of companies, as they can vary greatly. I would make a reservation with the best deal at the moment, and continue checking back until before you leave to see if something better has come along. If you check out the airport's website you can usually find which companies serve the airport. Fortunately, Frankfurt has traditionally had some of the best rates anywhere in western Europe. We rented from both Alamo and Avis in Frankfurt, and both were very reasonable and worked great.

Posted by
1633 posts

We have rented from AutoEurope for several years. Get several quotes from different companies for the same pick-up location and the same class of car. I then call AutoEurope and get their price. If it's more than my other quotes, I tell them and they'll match it. The person you talk to is a salesman--they want to rent you a car. They will make you a deal. Also, I will often use their website first (www.autoeurope.com) and then call them to reserve the car. Sometimes they will quote a different price on the phone (higher) and I'll point out that it's lower on the website and they will honor the lower price. Also, on the website it'll say there's a free upgrade for a certain class of car--don't forget to mention that. Since there are fewer Americans travelling to Europe this year, and, therefore, fewer car rentals (also because of the price of gas), you should be able to "work" a deal. At least get a free GPS. Have fun making lots of great memories!