Please sign in to post.

Italy

Hello! I am leaving for Rome, Italy 9/21 for the 1st time! I am really excited! Has anyone rented a car and traveled from Rome to Venice? Or would it be better to get a Hotel in Venice for a couple of nights?

Posted by
121 posts

Jacqueline - absolutely take the train to Venice! It's a great way to travel; you can relax, enjoy the scenery, and have your lunch while someone else does the driving. Also Venice is far too amazing for a day trip - the best part is the late afternoons and evenings when all the daytrippers are gone. Venice was our biggest expense in terms of lodging during our month in Europe but it was well worth it. We stayed two nights and I wish it had been more.

Posted by
430 posts

Make it three that agree.

Take the train, don't drive. I'm not a Venice nut, so I'd recommend only 1 night there. Early train on day 1, night in Venice, then head out evening day 2.

Depending on how long you have in Rome... I, personally, would prefer to preserve days for Ostia Antica and Pompeii. Those are do-able side trips, again by train... no car in Italy... that's just crazy talk...

Posted by
32320 posts

Jacqueline, another vote for the train! The trip from Rome to Venice is an easy one, especially if you choose one of the fast trains with no stops (reservations WILL be required). I wouldn't even consider getting a car for that, as it's very relaxing to just sit and enjoy the wonderful scenery (especially through Tuscany).

I'd definitely suggest getting a Hotel in Venice for at least two nights! It's a very unique place!

Happy travels!

Posted by
157 posts

Normally I am a fan of renting a car; I like the freedom and flexibility that a car offers. There are some exceptions though to my preference. Avoid a car in Rome and other big cities. Also I am not too big on it if you are just going from one city to another and back - as you are from Rome to Venice to Rome. Since it is your first trip to Italy driving is not really a good idea either. Take the train to Venice and stay at least one night; I really like Venice and I would recommend two nights. You could go out early one day stay two nights and then leave early day three. That way you have one full day to experience Venice and get lost and wander. You will be able to enjoy it at night when it is really nice.

Posted by
37 posts

Thank each of you for all of your suggestions! Does anyone have any suggestions on Hotels in Venice? Jacque`

Posted by
12313 posts

I would also do it the way Kevin suggests. Nights are the best time in Venice.

It's way too far for a day trip. It's a good 4 1/2 hours each way.

The only time I would rent a car rather than take a train for this trip is if your party is four or more because a train can get really expensive. Even then you want to start outside of Rome, then park before you get to Venice and take a short train ride in.