Please sign in to post.

renting a car in Tuscany

We are traveling to Italy in October and will mostly travel by train, but we do want to rent a car for 5 days in Tuscany. Any suggestions about which city/town to rent a car? I understand Florence is very challenging to drive in, so I think I'd like to rent it someplace outside of Florence. We will have spent 2-3 days in Florence prior to renting a car. Thanks!

Posted by
10344 posts

You're right about Florence. Many report here that they picked up in one of the Tuscany towns such as Siena and dropped off in Orvieto, then train from Orvieto to Rome (if they were headed to Rome); or dropped off at the Rome airport.

Posted by
800 posts

What about renting at the Florence airport? I'd assume this would mean you wouldn't have to drive in the heart of Florence. I know this is what we did when we rented in London. Took the train to Heathrow and picked up the car from there. Airports are also located next to the freeways so seems to be easy to get out of town.

Posted by
1358 posts

Renting a car is ALWAYS more practical if you take it in a remote area outside the city center. Some rental agencies offer pick up at a RR station or air terminal.

While you are in Florence ask about where you can take a car outside the center.

Last time I took a car in Frankfurt the agency offered pickup at their office a couple of miles outside the center. I took the bus to it and it worked out great.

I asked the rental agent how to get out of town and he gave me a map and marked it for me. In 30 minutes I was on the autobahn.

Posted by
207 posts

We picked up (Europcar) in Lucca and dropped it in Perugia. Both very, very easy and convenient to rail Stations plus outside restricted areas. Good luck. George Werner