Please sign in to post.

Getting to the airport

what is the easiest and safest way to get to the airport from the Vatican area at 5/am for my 7:30/am flight.
Also does anyone know about an extra fee for mulit passengers and luggage?
Haven't actually decided where I am staying that last night. The Hilton at the airport cost dearly and the reviews aren't that great. So would prefer to stay closer to Central Rome

Posted by
6898 posts

I would suggest that for international flights out of Rome FCO, you need to be there 3hrs before flight time. That means that you are looking for transportation at 4:00am. The Leonardo express doesn't start until 5:50am. Too early for buses as well.

I would suggest that you have two choices. 1) have your hotel schedule a taxi to be waiting for you at 4:00am. Yes, there is often an extra fee for luggage. We've paid that in other Italian cities as well. 2) stay near the FCO airport the night before. The Hilton reportedly has a shuttle but at that hour, they most likely will have to call them. You might also look into the Mach2 Hotel in Fiumicino. Less expensive and they have a shuttle.

We see these early flight difficulties quite a bit at Rome FCO and also at Venice Marco Polo. It's often taxi time to get to the airport on time.