Please sign in to post.

2019 Train Travel through Christmas Markets

Fly SFO- Nuremburg airport arrive approx. 13:30. Assuming we go through Customs, what time frame to allow to catch train to Rothenberg OTD. There 2 days/ then train to Dresden 3 days/ Leipzig 2 days then to Munich. Question is what is best way to travel via train ; two seniors traveling together. Would a 5 Day pass for Seniors be most feasible?
Thank you
Karin

Posted by
8938 posts

I know how I feel after flying to Germany from California and I am 63. Waiting around for a train and then sitting on a train to go to another city is going to completely wipe you out. Stay in Nuremberg overnight and go to Rothenburg the next morning. You will feel so much better, you don't have to stress about missing a train due to delayed flights and you will be able to enjoy your first full day in Germany instead of being overly exhausted.

Have you priced out point to point tickets for any of these connections? If you buy them 90 days ahead they can be really cheap.

Posted by
3049 posts

Agree with Jo about staying the night in Nuremberg, it's a lovely place with a famous (although crowded) market. You're counting in days, but it's more helpful to think in terms of nights. Were you going to spend 2 nights in Rothenberg or 1? 3 nights in Dresden/Leipzig or 2?

Are you experienced travelers in Germany and used to train travel? Rothenburg is a pain to get to via public transit. Unless you want to take a bus partway, you have to change trains twice from Nuremberg. Is this a city you have to do or would you be open to visiting other charming places that would make more sense on your itinerary, such as Bamberg or Erfurt?