Please sign in to post.

Train From Rome to Naples

We see a high speed train we would like to take to Naples for our day trip to Pompeii from Rome. I tried to book on trenitalia.com and also tried to call their booking number, but their credit card processing for US cards is acting up. Do you think it will be sold out by August 27th or will we be OK buying the tickets in Rome?

Also, how far is it to central Rome (hotel near the Borghese Gallery)from the airport by car? Thank you!

Posted by
6898 posts

There are about 35 high-speeds going from Rome to Naples each day. Each holds as many passengers as a 747. They don't fill up. If you miss one, you're simply early for the next one. You won't have any difficulty buying your train tickets to Naples once you arrive. You'll have to do the same thing on the Circumvesuviana train on the lower level of the Naples station as well to get to and from Pompeii. It's really easy. It's just that North Americans aren't used to hanging out in train stations.

By the way, using my ID and password, I can buy the ticket on the 6:45am train for 8/27 with my Visa card right now. I can even get the limited 20% discounted AMICA fare. It's not your American credit card. Mine will work easily. Select self-service and pick up your tickets at the self-service machine in the Rome Termini station.

Posted by
2 posts

Thanks! I will try the site again. We have a car meeting us in Naples to take us around for the day so I wanted to give them a time to meet us. I am from NY city so I love trains:)

Posted by
508 posts

Patricia - You can also buy your tickets in Rome at the Termini or a travel agent a few days ahead of time.

We didn't have a problem buying our Rome to Naples tickets at the station a few days in advance at the end of August. Using the ticket kiosks at Termini, we were even able to get the Amica fares with our credit card. The only problem we had was on the return trip as we didn't know our schedule and couldn't plan ahead. Even so we were only delayed about an hour and ended up paying full price.

Enjoy your trip! Don't forget sunscreen for Pompeii like we did...

Posted by
4 posts

HI there:

Do a bit of reading, try Trip Advisor, a very good site. We were going to go to Pompei, but are now going just 1/2 mile away to Herculaeum(?), which is much smaller, but better preserved.

Cheers,
Richard