Please sign in to post.

Swiss pass

I'll be in Zurich in August and have a rental car. Should I buy the Swiss pass?

Posted by
251 posts

The Swiss Pass is great as long as you get out of Zurich and get your money's worth. It's only a couple of hours by a pleasant train ride to the Berner Oberland area. From there you will can thoroughly explore the area getting on and off many forms of transportation. I'm sure there are other areas in Switzerland that are similar.

Posted by
9106 posts

You should ditch the rental car. Switzerland is best explored via its top notch transit system. The Swiss Pass covers all inter city trains/buses/boats, municipal transit, free entry to most museums, and big discounts on all high mountain excursions. For more details check the "railpasses" section of this site.

Posted by
7209 posts

Yes, there's nothing better than a Swiss Pass when in Switzerland. Please take the advice to ditch the rental car. You absolutely don't need it in Switzerland.

Posted by
8 posts

Hi Sandy,

I agree with all the comments below unless you plan to travel extensively in Switzerland outside of the Bernese Oberland area, large Swiss cities and major tourist areas. For instance, we spent a week in Murren, then a week in the French Swiss town of Villars several years ago. Absolutely the train, and specifically the Swiss Pass, was best for the first week. But we would have preferred a car the second week. We plan to visit the Appenzell region of Switzerland by car this year, during a trip to southern Germany, for the same reason.