Please sign in to post.

Frankfurt Airport

I will have a 13 hour layover @ Frankfurt Airport (all night long) but can't necessarily afford a hotel room at the airport and a bit chicken to venture very far and be able to return early the next AM. Are their lounge accomodations & possibly public showers @ the airport? Any personal experiences/advise?

Posted by
12040 posts

Frankfurt airport seemed ultra-modern, but didn't have nearly as many facilities or lounging areas as other well-known international hubs, such as Heathrow, Gatwick or Shannon. I don't know specifically about showers, but many large German rail stations have pay facilities for showering and toileting. Unlike some of the nastier public toilets often seen in the rest of Europe or the US, the German facilities are kept immaculately clean.

Posted by
1556 posts

When passing through FRA about 2 weeks ago I did see a number of lounge type chairs in different places in the terminal. These will let you stretch out. Guessing it has about 30-40 degree recline - so definitely not flat. There were a few of these right outside when exiting from the B concourse.

Posted by
103 posts

I was in a similar situation last year and stayed at the Frankfurt Hostel. It's across the street from Frankfurt Hbf, and trains run from there to the airport every 10 minutes. The ride is about 15 minutes long.

The neighborhood is a little sketchy after dark, but as hostels go, it was a good experience.

Posted by
658 posts

A 13 hour layover at Frankfurt isn't too bad. It's a busy airport and there is plenty of security everywhere so you're going to be SAFE. If you want to check your bags into a left luggage office, there's one on the ground floor. The Sheraton Hotel is attatched to the airport and there's nothing to stop you going into the Sheraton, ordering a coffee and reading a book for a few hours. There are some inexpensive places to get a meal at the airport, there's a pizza resturant near the left luggage office that is cheap and goooood ! There are also one or two reasonably priced bars on the landside section where you can have a long slow drink and read a book.

Most of the shower facilities at FRA are restricted to frequent flyer card holders and they tend to be on the airside section. The rest rooms at FRA are exceptionally clean ( well the male ones are for sure ).

At some stage one of the security guards will question you about where you are going. Show them your ticket and explain the situation. The Security guards are VERY helpful to bone fide travellers. They may well tell you where you can find a comfy seat and they may keep an eye on your safety if you take a nap.

Frankfurt airport is grey and boring, it has a lot of really useful shops and facilities and it is safe. You can kill 13 hours very easily with a good book, a meal and a drink and a short nap.

Posted by
12172 posts

I wouldn't want to spend 13 hours at the airport. If it was less, I would sit tight. For this one spend your time exploring but give yourself time to be back two hours before your flight.

Will you have to claim and recheck your luggage? If you can check it right away that would be best. If not, take it to left luggage.

Frankfurt airport has built in transportation connections so a train into town or other nearby town would be easy to do. Make sure you check the schedule for your return, however, before you hop on any trains out of the airport.

Posted by
1556 posts

There really should be no reason to have to claim your luggage - unless you are coming in on a Low Cost Carrier. Most major airlines will interline your bag - I have done this numerous times even when overnighting in a city - saves the hassle of having to pick up and drag bags.