Please sign in to post.

lost luggage question

Is it really a problem when checking carryon size bags versus larger bags?

I can't get by with carryon only this trip, as I'm packing for two different climates.

But I want to take two carryon size and check one of them.

Thanks.

My Bad...I wasn't specific enough. Sorry.

The flight portion of my trip which causes me concern is flying within Europe.

The first part is a Med cruise, and the second part is a family reunion in the UK (two climates previously mentioned).

I am fully aware of the advantages of packing light and carryon only.
It's a no-brainer that this would be best if it were always possible.
And I plan to dress in layers, but wish to bring one sweater, plus what is needed for rain in Britain.
But most of the Euro carriers only permit 11-15 pounds of carryon max, and do not permit an additional personal item.

I plan to use a less-than-45 linear inch carryon bag to avoid a forced baggage check of carryon. I can get only one spare set of clothing in this bag, plus everything else I must have handy.
I can get everything else in a checked 45 linear inch bag, and the weight allowance is 44 pounds max.

I'm concerned about the loss/delay of the smaller checked bag.

Posted by
9363 posts

I have been traveling internationally for 30 years or so, and I've never had a problem with checking bags. I don't think the size matters as far as whether it would get lost or not.

Posted by
354 posts

I would think routing errors or a short layover time cause more baggage delays than the size of a suitcase.

Posted by
805 posts

Unless its an excessively large bag (75 lbs. or more) on a small plane (like the prop jets they fly from Portland to Seattle that seat around 30), where weight and balance still matter, your bag will not be delayed based on its size. Even then, it will be on the next flight most certainly.

As noted above, bags misconnect because of routing and time issues, or computer/human error, not because of size.

Posted by
441 posts

If the first airport you're going to isn't your final destination you can be in big trouble. When your suitcase is one place and you're another, well, the airline gave us $50 to buy clothes for the four days until our luggage arrived. How far will $50 go in buying clothes?

Posted by
5678 posts

I've checked bags to Europe many times. If you're really worried and will need things immediately then part of your trip insurance can include compensation for lost luggage. It can give you money to equip yourself while you're in Europe. This could be key if you have multiple climates or multiple types of events.

Pam

Posted by
19099 posts

I would avoid checking bags if at all possible. Two climates? Learn to dress in layers.

In the last century I made two trips to Europe with checked bags. The first trip my bags were put on the carousel in Logan rather than on my flight to Belgium. I was fortunate to go with a friend while he retrieved his luggage. A few years later, on an in-Europe flight, my bags nearly went to So. America. The French-only baggage handlers were no help. Forturnately a French-speaking German couple convinced them to go get our bags off the plane before it headed to Bogata.

Then I discovered Rick's philosophy, and it really helped the early part of this century, when my flight was late into an eastern city and arrived with no chance to make the flight to Germany. The incoming airline met us at a gate and took us (not our checked luggage) by van to the Inter'l flight. Only having a carryon bag allowed me to avoid a disaster.

Take what you absolutely, positively have to have and carry it on with you. Everything you don't absolutely have to have, pack in a separate bag. Then, assume the second bag is going to get lost anyway and leave it at home.

The chances of your checked bag getting lost are probably not as bad as in my experience, but the result would be disasterous.

Posted by
149 posts

Lee, you are brilliant! "Take what you absolutely, positively have to have and carry it on with you. Everything you don't absolutely have to have, pack in a separate bag. Then, assume the second bag is going to get lost anyway and leave it at home." I too have had bad luck with checked luggage (4 times - once for 10 days) and I'm going to remember your nugget of advice.

Posted by
808 posts

In this case size doesn't count...
I believe the Turbo Prop 30 seater Aircraft David refers to could be something like the De Havilland Dash 8 -100 series. I earned my wings on those Baby Birds...He's right, overweight luggage could be delayed on those Aircraft due to safety.

If you are going to check, just make sure you have all essentials on board the Aircraft with you. Bring what you'll need to survive 24hrs at destination should your luggage become delayed.

Luggage is actually seldom "lost". Be sure to label your contact info/email address both inside and out.

Ensure that your routing code is correct. Always remove all routing tags once you arrive at destination.

Posted by
12172 posts

You can do well with layers. Packing heavy clothes isn't necessary. They become added weight to drag around when it isn't cold. I pack a couple of lightweight sweaters and a shell that can be used seperately or layered if it's really cold. A t-shirt or two underneath will get you through the coldest weather.

Is it a problem checking bags? It depends on what you think is a problem.

They probably won't lose your bag. Unfortunately bags do get lost or delayed and cause some people a lot of hassle that could have been avoided by carrying on.

Carry-on people save time. Carry-on people are out of the airport 30 minutes before checked luggage people (sometimes a lot more if there is a line at customs) and don't have to be at the airport as early as checked luggage people.

Carry-on people save money. Carry-on people don't have to take a taxi everywhere because they aren't overloaded with luggage; public transportation works fine. Carry-on people don't "need" hotels with elevators, they can carry their bag up a couple flights of stairs.

Carry-on people aren't as haggard. Their bags are light and they don't have to keep track of multiple items.

Carry-on people are less likely to be targets of thieves. People who have a lot to keep track of are easier targets for the bad guys.

My most recent trip was across country to do some maintenance on a home I'm trying to sell. I checked a bag of tools (not quite 50 lbs.) in addition to carrying on my clothing.

On both ends of the trip the bag went to a different carousel than what was listed at the airport. The first was in sight, so I didn't lose much time.

Coming home everyone who checked waited patiently before some started looking around and finding our bags in the wrong place. I lost nearly an hour at the airport getting my bag and another hour because I hit traffic I wouldn't have otherwise hit.

I will always travel carry-on only unless there is a real good reason not to.

Posted by
88 posts

"Ensure that your routing code is correct."
(posted by Flight Attendant)

Yes, I learned about that once when flying from DUB-MAN on Aer Lingus.

The ticket agent had not changed the routing code from the previous flight (LHR).

I caught the error just as she pressed the button to zip it off to the baggage handlers.

At the earliest opportunity, she went to the plane and asked them to offload it.
They refused and my bag arrived at our cousin's house the day before we departed home (three day delay).

No hard feelings though, as I would consider flying Aer Lingus again.

Posted by
15079 posts

Always check to make sure your bag is marked for your destination correctly.

Years ago, I took a chartered flight on a major airline from LAX to Guaymas, Mexico.

We all waited on line to check in and a baggage handler came out to tag all of our bags (before the day of computerized tags.) I didn't pay much attention until it was my turn and realized he had marked all the bags for.....Guam.

I told him and he said, "Yeah, Guam, Mexico. Luckily, the customer service rep behind the desk understood and got the right tags.