Please sign in to post.

Drive or Train?

My wife and I are taking a cruise leaving from Civitavecchi. We are flying to London and have 8 days before we board the ship. We are pondering renting a car and driving from London to Rome, spending the 8 days to do so. We want to spend a couple of days each in Florence and Rome, but have no other itenerrary other than that. Would it be wise to take a car, or should we take the train?

Posted by
864 posts

If I really wanted to do this drive I'd Eurostar over and rent my car in Europe. That said picking up a car in France etc. and turning it in in Rome will probably jack up the price. I'd spend the 8 days divided between London/Florence and Rome. (Seeing less but better.) I'd also fly but...remember those pesky checked bag fees when considering price and of course if you want to see the countryside a plane won't cut it. Post what you decide to do and then post again when you return. Best way for the rest of us to learn!

Posted by
2207 posts

James - it's probably about 1,000+ miles from London to Rome (I've done the Rome/Paris route and that's over 800 miles)... Other than tooling around Tuscany you really do not need a car in Italy. From Rome you can take trains to Civitavecchi - we did that just last week on the IC Plus. I guess my vote would be on taking the train!

Some factors to consider - First, what would the drop-off fee be in Rome for a car rented in the UK?. My last Paris drop-off was to be $800 - we decided to fly! And a right-hand drive in Italy would have to be shipped back to the UK... So Marie has a great point about renting in Paris! Also, many car agencies WILL NOT allow their rental cars into Italy - or they will but with a huge fee imposed.

Next, gas is running close to $9.00 a gallon over here - diesel even more. The UK is even more expensive... so with a 1,000+ miles you look at some big bucks!!!

And then there's insurance, tolls, etc. And of course parking in-town or overnight.

You surely DO NOT need a car in Rome, Florence, Venice, Paris, or London! For me, other than Tuscany I would vote for the train. Cars can give you tremendous freedom but the length of drive time and expense would be overwhelming. The last train we were on (the IC Plus ran at 128 mph - The Eurostar to Florence a month ago was 156 mph --- according to the GPS I carried on board). You can't get from point A to point B any faster unless you fly!

If you had more time,I'd say lease a car and see Europe - but with 8 days you will spend much time in the car!!!! That's just my two cents based on the travel arrangements you've posted.

As Marie says, more info may sway the decision - but I still like the train - or FLY into Pisa/Florence/Milan and rent a car from there - Vueling/RyanAir/Easyjet are all low priced carriers that fly into Italy from Paris/London...

Ciao,
Ron

Posted by
5 posts

Thanks Marie and Ron. We have decided to take the train. we will rent a car (or vespas) in Florence to see the countryside. I haven't been able to get the prices for the trip from Paris to Florence, but the London-Paris leg is surprisingly inexpensive.

Posted by
6898 posts

James, please carefully consider your intentions to rent a car or Vespa in Florence. Florence is loaded with Zona Traffico Limitato zones (ZTLs). These are restricted zones with cameras to take pictures of your license plates. If you enter these zones, you will receive a ticket for up to $200 up to a year later. You can even receive multiple tickets if you drive into multiple zones. Rental car companies just don't seem to bother with getting the proper stickers on the cars. Also, the best areas in Florence are very crowded with cars.

For renting a Vespa, you don't drive enough like an Italian, even the very cute Italian girls, to drive a Vespa in Florence. We were there six days and saw at least 1 accident a day with people being put into an ambulance. In almost all incidents, a scooter was involved. The historical areas are quite compact. You'll walk 3-4 miles a day but it's all close together.

Posted by
1358 posts

A car will offer more convenience and I always rent a car, but you can't drive or park in Rome or Florence. You should plan on staying in a suburb and taking public transportation.

I would definitely drive from London to Florence because you will find many places you will want to stop and visit.

Italian trains are efficient and easy to use, but be sure you take an express train from Florence to Rome.

Otherwise you stop in every village.