Please sign in to post.

Train from Florence to Sorrento

Yikes! I am having a heck of a time trying to figure out trains. We will be in Siena with a car that we will be returning to Florence on the morning of Sept 24th. From Florence we will be going to Sorrento. I know we need to take the train to Naples and the catch the Circumvesuviana to Sorrento. Are these trains in the same station? Do we just get tickets for the Circumvesuviana when we get there or can we buy them in advance? Thanks for all your help!

Posted by
805 posts

Yup, just go downstairs in the Naples station to get to the Circumvesuviana trains. You cannot buy the tickets in advance, it's a lot like a local commuter train (in fact it is a commuter train) in the US.

Posted by
6898 posts

You can easily take the train from Florence to Naples. Some runs stop in Rome but you don't have to change trains. Once you get to Naples, the Circumvesuviana station is on the lower level of the same train station. The CV line is strictly a local train. No reservations or advanced purchases. You just buy the tickets when you get there.

Posted by
25 posts

Thank you so much, Larry & David. That really helps me feel much more comfortable about the trip. We are spending 4 nights in Venice, 4 nights in Florence and 4 nights in Siena with my sister and brother-in-law who are good travelers (only the 2nd trip to Europe and our first trip to Italy for my husband and I) We then split off when we take the car back to Florence and my husband and I are on our own to Sorrento. A little nervous about the being on our own but extremely excited about the whole trip! We then meet back up in Rome for 5 days. Can hardly wait!