Please sign in to post.

car rental drop off in Florence

has any one drooped off a hertz rental car in Florence? is it better at the airport or downtown I,m staying near the train station but read that driving to the center is restricted. also you can only drop off at a garage nearby.i'm trying to save the taxi fare from the airport but not sure if i can really drop off downtown or not and if I would be charged for driving that close to the center

Posted by
805 posts

If you're staying near the train station drop it off downtown. It's not that hard to get to, just get good directions and it'll be a few simple turns off the highway and that's it.

Posted by
4555 posts

Be VERY careful approaching the train station to drop it off. See the map of the ZTL (restricted zones) at http://www.bella-toscana.com/traffic/firenze_ztl_map.jpg . You'll see SMN station in the clear, wedged in between Zones C and D. The roads marked in yellow are your "escape routes," routes you can use to get through otherwise-restricte zones. Keep a careful lookout for signs that say "Zona Traffico Limitado" with a big red circle on them...."danger, danger, Will Robinson" if you spot one of those coming up.

Posted by
6898 posts

By all laws, you are supposed to be able to enter a ZTL to get to a hotel or place of business. Problem is, they are required to immediately notify the police department and give them the license plate number of your car. I'm betting that few do.

CLICK HERE to see a bit more info on the ZTLs and a picture of what the sign look like. If you see this ZTL sign, do not go past it.

Posted by
354 posts

Another option would be to drop off your rental car at the airport, then ride one of two buses back into the center of Florence. One bus connects the airport with S.M.N. rail station, and the other bus connects the airport with the SITA bus station. They both cost only 5 Euro. If your hotel is close to either of these places, and you pack lightly, then the bus option might solve your problem.

Posted by
864 posts

I've actually done this. Dropping off the car was not difficult but beware of the one-way street (the garage is just around the corner from Hertz) but give yourself ample time. The restricted center does not include the Hertz return garage. All bets are off if you are trying to turn in the car during morning/afternoon rush hour. It's the bridge that kills you as it chokes down several lanes. Took me two hours from the B&B just outside town. Frankly, I'd never do it again. There are times when cab fare is money well spent. There is also a bus from the airport to the train terminal.