Please sign in to post.

Rome to Siena

I've read half and half --bus is better/train is better. They seem to be about the same length of travel time but I know you have to get a ride into Siena from the train station and there is a train change but not a bus change. What do you think?

My second question is, no matter which mode of transp. we use, how do we get tickets--buy at the station that morning, find a TA in Rome, find a train or bus ticket office in central Rome? I don't want to have to use up precious time to go out to the station the day before to buy them.

Thanks

Posted by
23 posts

Just did this trip in late February. Bus is the far better option as the Siena bus station is right there, walkable to many places in town including the hotel (Chiusarelli) where we stayed. Bus was clean and efficient. I understand that getting a taxi from the train station into town is not always easy.

I booked the tickets on the internet in the US from the bus company website. It was in Italian, but fairly easy to navigate even though I don't speak the language. Was able to print out a confirmation and picked up the passes at the bus terminal window upon arrival. I did follow up with an e-mail, in English, to [email protected] (or alternately [email protected]). They were very helpful to confirm my arrangements. By the way, it only cost 5 Euros plus a 3 Euro fee.

Posted by
251 posts

JFK,

Did you have to choose a specific time or is it an open ticket.

Thanks for your information.

Posted by
23 posts

It was a specific time. At time of booking they provide seat assignments. I believe the bus company was Sena (you can google it and get on their website). As you have probably read, the departure station is not the main train/bus station in Rome. We took a taxi to get there as we were hauling bags, but you can also get there via the Metro if you prefer. By the way, Siena was fantastic.

Posted by
6898 posts

You want the SENA bus that departs from the Tiburtina train station. Tickets for the SENA bus to Siena are sold at the main bus terminal (across the street from the train station), and also the Piccarozzi office at 12/14 Via G. Mazzoni, which is to your right and runs perpendicular to the highway (tel. 06 440-4495). The cost for a one-way ticket to Siena is 16Euro. To find the right bus, look at the front of the buses in the piazza and find the SENA bus (usually white) with a large sign – “Siena-Roma”. From Tiburtina, the bus to Siena takes about the same as the train. Once you reach Siena, get off at Piazza Gramsci, which may be the 2nd or 3rd stop and is recognizable by the Jolly hotel on the left. The hotel is opposite the piazza.

You can also take the train to Siena. It's a 3hr. 10min journey with a train change in either Florence or Chiusi.