Please sign in to post.

First time to Europe

I have read alot of the postings. I am traveling to London and Paris for 8 days each. Besides Hampton Court and Versailles we will be staying in the city visiting all the attractions, etc. What would be the best travel cards (London Travel Card, Oyster Card) - (Paris Garnet or Navigo) Should I wait till I get there? See how much walking we are going to do? What is the best way from Gare du Nord to Zone 1? Everyone agrees that the Paris Museum Pass would be good but not the London Sightseeing Pass? How much do you tip taxi drivers, etc. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Leaving the end of June and mainly want to be sure I get any cards, passes I might need ahead of time or wait till I get there?

Posted by
32213 posts

Georgie, regarding travel in London, Rick provides a good analysis on which card is best for various circumstances. I prefer the Oyster Card for travel on the Tube, as it's such an easy option. I don't bother returning it when I leave, but just save it for the next visit (as far as I know, it never expires?).

For the Metro in Paris, on my last visit I just bought a Carnet of 10 tickets, as I was just travelling within the city and not to Versailles or more distant points. Be sure to retain the ticket when you go through the turnstile - as I recall, you need these to exit as well.

I believe Rick also provides good information on the merits of both the Paris Museum Pass and the London Sightseeing Pass - check the Guidebooks for the details.

My preference would be to wait until you arrive to buy the necessary passes. It's not difficult at all. I assume you're starting in London? If you decide to go with the Oyster Card, buy one at the first Subway station you encounter (I bought mine at London Victoria when I arrived via the Gatwick Express).

With the Paris Museum Pass, you could purchase this over the net if you have time, or just stop by the nearest sales point when you arrive in Paris. I went to a T.I. or whatever close to the old Paris Opera. It took about an hour return via Metro from my Hotel, which I found a pleasant and interesting trip.

Happy travels!

Posted by
1806 posts

Buying the Paris Museum Pass in advance via the internet is a waste of your money. The shipping charge to the U.S. is ridiculous.

Wait until you get there - there are plenty of places to purchase the pass that don't require a long wait. Use the search box in the upper right corner. A lot of the questions you ask have been answered recently.

Posted by
1455 posts

Georgie, I would try to find Rick's TV show on the basic traveling tips. Its a 3 part series, and he talks about tipping and using the metro, etc. You can even catch the more specific shows like Paris and London. If you can't find it on PBS, try YouTube (prob under 'rick steves').

As for walking, it really depends on you. I would, however, bring your most comfortable shoes. Even if you don't plan on walking much, you will need to walk in tours, to the metro, or even thru a museum.

Remember that service is usually included in the restaurants. If you are not sure, just inquire if service is included.

Also, no need to get the Oyster or Travel card ahead of time. The postage is a rip for that too! They are easy to get in London at most tube stations.

Posted by
8700 posts

A zone 1-2 seven-day travelcard will work well for most of your time in London. Use can start on any day of the week. You can either load the travelcard on an Oyster card or buy a paper travelcard at a National Rail station. The advantage of the National Rail paper card is that it qualifies you for some good 2for1 offers. See here. Buy an extension ticket to get from zone 2 to Hampton Court on a National Rail train.

If your starting and ending days in Paris fall right, the best pass is a zone 1-2 Carte Orange Hebdomadaire which is good Monday-Sunday. You load it on a rechargeable passe Navigo Decouverte card. A headshot photo is required.

While the Paris Museum Pass allows entrance to Versailles, it doesn't cover as much as does the Forfait Loisirs which covers both your transportation to Versailles and back plus full access at the chateau. For a page that lists all your ticket and pass choices in Paris with links to detailed explanations of each one, go here.

Here is a link to the Forfait Loisirs for Versailles.

Gare du Nord is in zone 1. If what you really mean is the 1er arrondissement (1st district in the center of Paris), the way to get there is by RER, Metro, and/or bus.

Rick Steves recommends rounding up the fare to the next pound or euro when paying a taxi driver.

Posted by
1 posts

Georgie - If you are travelling with children, apply on-line for the discounted oyster card for children. Different ages, different prices, both less than the adult fare. Order the application at least 4 weeks ahead of travel time. Fill out the form, send it back and pick up the travel card when you get to London. We are going mid-June.