Please sign in to post.

Oyster Card in London

Can someone please tell me if when purchasing the 7 day Oyster card, is it 7 consecutive days or can it be used for our first 3 days in London then use it at the end of our trip- 3 weeks later? I think I just figured out it would be better to purchase an Oyster card vs. the travel card. Any comments? thanks. We have to purchase it now in London. Does anyone know if they can purchased at the TI or at the airport - I know they are not valid for travel from the airport into London. Thanks.

Posted by
525 posts

Another question on the Oyster card. Can it be used on the red double decker buses? I know it can't be used on the hop-on-hop off but on the dbl decker ones?

Posted by
8700 posts

Whether paper or loaded on an Oyster card, the travelcard is good for seven consecutive days. Since you'll be in London for two different periods, you'll be better off with an Oyster card. Buy the Oyster card at a Heathrow Tube station. It will be good on the Tube from the airport to London.

Posted by
525 posts

Thanks for the information. I forgot that the airport was in zone 6 and that's why we were going to wait until we arrived in to London proper to buy the Oyster Card. Thanks to all of you.
b

Posted by
3112 posts

My recollection is that the Oyster pass covers both tube and buses. If buying at Heathrow and planning your other travel only in central London (zone 1), ask the ticket agent if buying a zone 1 pass and paying the supplement for the trips from/to the airport would save you money.