Please sign in to post.

General Strike - Paris - 22 May 2008 - Metro - RER and Air France

I always hate being the bear of bad news, however the papers are confirming that ALL of the SNCF rail unions (RER), 3 of the 8 RATP (Metro) unions and Air France will be having a one day strike this Thursday.

For those unfamiliar - this means that services will begin to shut down Wednesday night at 8pm and continue most likely beyond Thursday into Friday. Well - to be honest the weekend too.

Posted by
808 posts

Thanks for sharing that, Jona. Is there a link we can check out so we can keep posted on the strike?

F/A

Posted by
15 posts

Thanks for the update, Jona. Do you know if this will affect TGV trains? We are flying to Paris on United on May 22 and need to take the TGV to Annecy on Sunday May 25.
Also, do you know if operations of other airlines at CDG besides Air France will be affected? I called United and so far they say they don't know of any problem.

Posted by
808 posts

I haven't heard of any other Airlines being affected. I didn't receive any word of caution from within my Airline, anyway. I will post again if I hear of anything.

Posted by
273 posts

Wow! Do you think the strike will last past the weekend?

Posted by
1 posts

How about getting from the airport to Paris? What ways will there be?

Posted by
506 posts

Regarding travel from the airport -

I would recommend getting a shuttle. www.parisshuttle.com

It will eliminate any problems. Typically all rail service will suspended in some manner - and how many trains and frequency will vary - thus I cannot "advise" what will or will not be running - or how long the strike will last. It is expected to only be a day - but typically the system is very slow at recovering.

Check the websites above for updated information.