Please sign in to post.

Train Tickets in France

I purchased tickets through RailEurope. I was unhappy to discover that I do not actually have reserved seats on some legs of my trip. The person I spoke to at RailEurope was not particularly helpful. Does anyone know if it's possible to reserve a seat on the train from Beaune to Arles. If so, how do I do it? Any other advice would be helpful; this is our first trip to France. Thank you!

Posted by
421 posts

I don't understand if you book the reservation through rail europe you should have a reservation.
Did you buy a rail pass only or did you buy a pass and then book each route?

Posted by
2 posts

Thanks for the response.

I purchased tickets, not a pass. I have reserved seats on some legs and not on others. I was surprised to see this as the website gives the impression that you are reserving seats for your entire trip.

I'm am concerned about getting a seat on the day that we want to travel. I would prefer to have a reservation if possible. Too much of a worrier, I suppose...

Also, I was told that I do not need to validate these tickets before boarding. Rick Steves says that you should. Does anyone know from recent experience?

Posted by
421 posts

Maybe I am not sure but I thought when you booked a route and paid for it as a point to point ticket that it was the same as a reservation?

I guess I might be wrong....I should check my own tickets to make sure

Posted by
8700 posts

Check the detailed timetables at www.bahn.de. Click on "Internat. Guests" to view the site in English. After you enter Beaune as your departure station and Arles as your arrival station, you'll see that there are several routes, all requiring at least one change of trains. If any leg of your route is on a TGV, you should have been given a seat assignment and reservation for that leg. For the legs that are on regional trains, no reservations are even possible.

Posted by
421 posts

Can seat reservations be made online?
Yes. Where reservations are included in the cost of the ticket, your reservation will be made for the schedule you select. Where reservations are an additional fee, you can either purchase them at the same time you buy your tickets or return to the site at a later date to purchase the reservations separately.

Posted by
4132 posts

I'm surprised to learn that RailEurope can't sell you a reservation. You might try a travel agent if you can't find a way to do it in online. Or you could do it at any rail station in France.

Chances are, as you may know, you will not need reservations at all. But of course they can be worth it for peace of mind; also unless things have changed recently you do need reservations for any portion of your trip that is on the TGV.

Posted by
421 posts

well what I found out on rail europe states that if the route NEEDS a reservation then it is included in the ticket so you don't have to worry.

I guess you want to make sure you have a reservation on routes that actually do not require a reservation. I am surprised that they can not book it.

you could wait until you arrive in France and book reservations there?