Please sign in to post.

buying train tickets from the US

I have spent hours trying to buy train tickets in the UK ahead of my travel, with no success. I followed the directions in the RS guide book. When I go to the National Rail site online, they take all my journey planning information but then will not let me make a reservation. So I went to the site of one of their listed agents (Midland) and went through the same process and again at the end, I could not purchase tickets outside of the UK. I would like to get tickets ahead of time to get the cheaper rates, but it seems impossible to do. I am thinking I will just have to wait until I am there and buy tickets with a rail card and hope for the best. Any advice?

Posted by
8700 posts

Although they'll accept your card at a station, some of the UK train companies don't accept North American credit cards for online booking. From what I've read, I believe that National Express East Coast does. And I believe that they will sell you tickets for routes run by the other train companies as well as their own. I also think that you can book at The Trainline, but there is a fee for doing so. Or you can make an international phone call to the train company of your choice.

Posted by
225 posts

National Express East Coast does allow purchases by US citizens. When you get to the part of the website where you put in your CC number and address you have to click the little "international address" near the bottom of the page. This allows you to type in your US address rather than the UK information. I had no problem purchasing multiple tickets for late June.

Posted by
4 posts

thanks for the advice. East Coast, I have tried and booked tickets but then they did not have my train station of departure as a choice for picking up tickets( stratford upon avon). So I am at an impass again. I tried to enter Heathrow so I could pick up tickets when I arrive, but that is not a choice either. i wrote them an email to get some help. I was able to book my other tickets with them without problems

Posted by
445 posts

Mary are you going through London at all? You could pick up your tickets at a machine ina London station.
I was just booking on this site and saw that all the London rr. stations are listed. Hope this helps

Posted by
19092 posts

www.RailEurope.com

I just looked at the Nat. Exp. website, and for London to Edinburgh they had a train leaving London at 10:00. A 2nd cl. ticket on this train was 19,15 GBP, less than $38. A ticket for the same train from RailEurope was $216 (plus $18 handling)! Both sites were selling non-refundable tickets.

I would say that for almost $200 difference it would pay to try to make the Nat. Exp. website work. RailEurope would be a last resort.

How are you getting to Stratford on Avon? If by train, you must be picking up those tickets. Can't you pick up the other tickets at the same time?

Posted by
4 posts

Thankyou all for your kind responses. I am getting a lift to stratford. But I have located the nearest station to where I am staying so, i think I can work it out now. On the other hand, I may just wait and buy tickets with a rail card when I get there so as to have the flexibility.