Please sign in to post.

carry on baggage

I was looking at aer lingus" site and the max wt for carry on is 1 bag and 13 lbs. I am stupefied. Do we really have to check our rolling bags now? sorry to sound stupid, but haven't travelled to Europe in 2 years.

Posted by
23267 posts

The airlines have tighten up on carryon, Some enforce it more aggressively than others. I have stood in more than one Lufthansa line and watch then force the checking of rolling carryon bags because they would not fit in the sizing box. You probably need to be prepared to check your bag if over any of the limits because it could be the day they are enforcing the limits..

Posted by
808 posts

Erin,
I haven't actually looked at the site for Aer Lingus. They should also post the measurements of your carry-on and not just the weight. It is helpful to know the size of the measuring box.

I travel with a 17" Samso. It's the smallest roller on the market which means it will fit into any box. Air Crew deadhead a lot on various Airlines throughout Europe so it would be impractical to have to always check measurements. I know I'm safe with my 17incher.

Something also to note is that Luggage that says "Airline Approved" is a marketing stunt/tool. Not all Airlines approve the same size demensions. That is one of the most common arguements made at Check-in! I even got burned on that in my early days of travel.

Posted by
153 posts

The European airlines are more restrictive about 'cabin baggage' as they call it than US carriers. Your rollaboard bag will probably fit the size restriction but the weight limitation is ridiculous. My Costco rolling bag weighs almost that much empty.

You can find some really light carry-on bags. Try Air Boss, or the RS bag currently on sale.

Posted by
3 posts

I just rechecked the website & the bag dimensions are workable, 22 x 18 x 10, and I took that bag in & out & around Italy 2 years ago, no problem.
But 13 lbs is not too much more than many bags empty.