Please sign in to post.

Octoberfest

My husband and I will be in Germany for Octoberfest this year and would like to have some recommendations on where to go and stay while we are there.

Posted by
10344 posts

You didn't say it but I got the feeling you might be considering the obvious choice: Munich? If so, hopefully you have already booked your accommodations in Munich--if not, brace yourself for the lack of availability and rates for anything that is available.

Posted by
216 posts

I'd recommend you find lodging in the suburbs and start checking around now - things fill up fast. Fortunately, the Fest lasts a couple of weeks; unfortunately, it's very crowded any time.

If you look at accommodations in nearby cities (my bet is on Fürstenfeldbruck, because my mom is from there and I have relatives I visited, so I know about easy bus and rapid transit into Munich). Freising, towns near Erding (airport), and along the train line to Augsburg or Salzburg would be other safe bets. When there, get up early (and stay late!)

Posted by
31 posts

I went to Oktoberfest in 2007 and we booked a hotel in January of 2007. It was pretty expensive but there is no way around it. We stayed at the Englisher Garten Hotel and paid about $134 Euros per night. That is pretty expensive now but it was a great place to stay and it was right across a stream from the park. We walked into the park each morning for breakfast that we purchased in the market the day before. It was about a 4 block walk from the subway but that allowed us to go any where in Munich. Any other hotel in Munich was either more expensive or already booked. If you want to have a beer at Oktoberfest you MUST have a reservation or you MUST get there at 10 am. We went at 3 pm on a week day and we could not get in at all. We waited for about an hour and went to the hofbrauhous. The people in front of us had reservations and they still would not let them in because the table they had reserved was still full. Munich is a great city and be patient at Oktoberfest. ENJOY!!