Please sign in to post.

Eurorail

I am ready to purchase a Eurorail for my wife and I. We will be purchasing the Eurorail Selectpass Saver for 5 travel days, 4 countries We plan on visiting Amsterdam, Germany, France, and Italy.

My question is, If we are leaving from Amsterdam to Germany, does Amsterdam count as one of the Countries of travel that needs to be accounted for or can I get the Eurorail Pass for 5 days, 3 countries?

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Posted by
19099 posts

Amsterdam is a city, not a country. The country is The Netherlands.

If you don't have The Netherlands (Benelux, actually) as one of your "countries", you will have to buy P2P tickets from Amsterdam to the German border. That might be less than the added cost of another country on your Saver Passes. However, if you are taking the train from Munich to Italy, it passes through Austria. You either need to include Austria in your countries, or buy P2P tickets from Kufstein to Brennero.

Posted by
8700 posts

You would need a four-country Selectpass covering Benelux, Germany, France, and Italy. Be aware that if you pass through Switzerland, you may or may not have to buy a ticket for the portion of the route that is in Switzerland. See this page on the RS railpasses section: www.ricksteves.com/rail/select.htm. You would do well to read all the railpass information on this site before committing to buying a pass. Click on the Railpasses tab at the top of the page you're reading now. Also read the railpasses section at www.seat61.com.

Note: Buying point-to-point tickets may be cheaper than a pass, particularly if you can get discount fares by booking in advance on the various national rail sites for the countries in which you'll be traveling.