Please sign in to post.

International drivers license

We are renting a car in Munich and will be driving to Tuscany. Is it necessary to have a international drivers license?

Posted by
4555 posts

Italy requires you have an international driver's permit, available at your local AAA office for about $15 plus a couple of passport-sized photos.

Posted by
3313 posts

Understand it's a permit, not a license. It's just a translation of your state-issued license so police know what the numbers mean. You still need your state license. After a lot of discussion last year, participants on this board agreed it's necessary in Italy - you're subject to a fine on the spot if you don't have one.

Posted by
12172 posts

Although I was never asked for mine, no one can predict whether there will be an accident or even a random stop on the road. In those cases, I would want my IDP handy.

The IDP is really easy to get and inexpensive. I picked mine up a AAA.

Posted by
1449 posts

pretty much every trip in Tuscany we've had the random road stops. You come around a turn and there they are beside the road, they wave you over to the side and ask for ID.

Posted by
808 posts

The IDP is only valid for one year, correct? Now is that one year from issue or one year starting Jan 1st? Does anyone know? I don't have one at the moment.

Thanks,

F/A